loan Rifle 6.5x47 Lapua is completed

Hi fellow fly shooters just to let you know that the loan rifle is now finished, and will be ready to go for the federal cup should anyone want to use it.

Thanks very much to Keith HILLS from KHSG who has kindly donated the first barrel and completed all the smithing work for free as his contribution to the project.

Stuart Elliot of BRT is donating 130gn Bergers for the rifle and this is also a tremendous contribution. I

I am going to post photo's of the rifle for all to see in the rifle building section so i really hope you all check it out. I should have the pictures up by Monday night.

I will start the load development this week and by the way it has been put together i will guarantee that it will be a first class rig.

Action : Barnard S
Trigger : Jewell
Stock: Noye thumbhole laminate

The barrel is a trial so i will keep the make back until it wins a shoot, and for those who use this rifle i wish you the very best in your pursuit of a win, and as such i get beaten by my own rifle then power to you as a shooter......

All the best to you all

Cheers Les

Re: loan Rifle 6.5x47 Lapua is completed

chappo (Greg Chapman)
Great effort Les, well done to you and the sponsors for the effort put in with this rifle.

Re load development, If it helps my 6.5x47Lap load is 130g Berger VLD with 37.5g of 2208 with CCI BR4 primers in lapua cases seated 0.040 thou off the lands (jump). That  gives me 2865fps with an ES of 20 and an  SD of 6.

Well done again on the project LES.

Chappo
"Only accurate rifles are interesting". Col Townsend Whelen

Re: loan Rifle 6.5x47 Lapua is completed

john mc quire
   Well done Les  and all who have helped you
              Gregs load is close to what i use  but work up to it  at a couple of tenths at a time
           looks like another 6.5 x 47 Lapua  is going to set some good scores at Canberra
            you know what happens when you lend some one your gun  !!!!
               they usualy flog you with it   --  would not be the first time that has happened  --
                   but thats the chance you will have to take
           I also lend my light gun to a mate so that he can compete in the 1000 yd shoot at Canberra
                  and take the chance of being flogged    --  but at least another shooter can enjoy
             shooting  a 6.5 x 47 L   --
           i am sure that who ever gets to shoot your loaner  won't be dissapointed
                           cheers         john mc quire
  Every Shot inside the Eight Ring would be GREAT

Re: loan Rifle 6.5x47 Lapua is completed

Thanks chappo will start with yours, the rifle is fantastic it really turned out well Keith did a great job on it. I think that this rifle will help get new shooters into fly shooting and give other shooters who are between rifles options, well that is my hope anyway.

Because of the support from keith and Stuart this rifle will be really competitive and i hope that one shoot in the near future someone comes away with a win with it.

cheers to all
Les

Re: loan Rifle 6.5x47 Lapua is completed

john mc quire
Hello Les    well how does it shoot  ?
                  did you test it at 500m  ?
              what was the group like
           who will be shooting the loaner at Canberra
       it will be great to see the rifle in opperation
               regards    john mc quire
  Every Shot inside the Eight Ring would be GREAT

Re: loan Rifle 6.5x47 Lapua is completed

Hi john the rifle absolutely drives nails i shot it at Lynhurst and i must say i am impressed with the whole rig. No one has taken up the offer yet that is ok i might even shoot it myself for the first time as it really grouped well. I had a friend of mine shoot it and put 8 shots into the fly ring so it is a shooter alright..

I am going to shoot it again this weekend and get the scope sorted out on true zero weather permitting then she is ready to go, i want to give the rifle a name any suggestions ????
cheers Les

Re: loan Rifle 6.5x47 Lapua is completed

Sebastian Lambang
Well done Les!

A name? ... how about "The Lil Nailer"?.... "The Heart Breaker"?..... or "The Great Les"?

In case I have trouble with my gun, could you spare me with your gun please?

seb.

Re: loan Rifle 6.5x47 Lapua is completed

Hi Seb don't worry mate i will have a spare for you if you need it i will load up my Bat 6BR as well it shoots the lights out. If no one takes up the offer of the 6.5X47 i will still load it up anyway and have a shoot with it on the Friday. It is really exciting to see so much interest in the shoot that is coming up well done to everyone.

cheers Les

Re: loan Rifle 6.5x47 Lapua is completed

Sebastian Lambang
Thanks you so much Les!!!

Can't wait to meet you & the others,
seb.

Re: loan Rifle 6.5x47 Lapua is completed

Matt Paroz
Hi Les
 Just chambered a 6.5 x 47 for myself, what load have you settled on with the 130 Bergers ??

Matt

Re: loan Rifle 6.5x47 Lapua is completed

hi mate 37.6 grns of 2208 has proven to be the most consistant Matt. Great ES and a full case but i did get pressure not to far after that about 39.2 was a bit too hot for my liking
hope this helps mate
Les

Re: loan Rifle 6.5x47 Lapua is completed

john mc quire
       Hi  Les      has anyone  taken up the offer to use your new light gun  for Batemans Bay
                      its about time we saw it shoot  --   might swat a lot of flys  --
                 and have you sorted out a name for the girl yet  ??
             can't have her running around un-named   --  someone else might claim her for their own
                     De Loaner   would be suitable
                see you at the Bay
                   cheers   john mc quire

Hi mate on one has taken her up as yet

Re: loan Rifle 6.5x47 Lapua is completed

Matt Paroz
Les
 What sort of velocity does that load get ???

Thanks
Matt Paroz

Re: loan Rifle 6.5x47 Lapua is completed

hi mate will chronograph this weekend with any luck but please remember i Moly coat everything so ....... there is a bit lost in that but for shooting a match without cleaning i think it is worth it.
cheers Les

Re: loan Rifle 6.5x47 Lapua is completed

David Dundas
Hi Les

I would be interested in getting my son Alex (age 14) to step up to the centrefire at Batemans bay next month. He won the Junior rimfire last year at Batemans and is the current western Sydney junior champion and regulary shoots the rimfire Fly at Silverdale but has only shot a centrefire on a few occasions.
 If he shot both the rimfire and centrefire then he would be in the running for the Junior two gun which he missed out on last year at Batemans. He has talked about shooting some bigger calibers, but I have little knowledge in this area so he needs some guidance and direction.
I would certianly be interested in the loan gun (and ammo to suit) for him if it was available and someone could point him in the right direction.

Regards

David Dundas

Re: loan Rifle 6.5x47 Lapua is completed

Hi mate there is another person that has put a bid in for the loaner however if he doesn't take it then it is yours, Now with your son if i can get the time i will try and load up one of my comp guns for him to shoot , it will we the same price as the loaner but this will be a one off. At every opportunity we should encourage junior shooters to compete.

talk soon Les

Re: loan Rifle 6.5x47 Lapua is completed

David Dundas
Sounds great Les

He is keen to step up to the 500 m event so if a rifle is available then that would be great. The cost is not even a consideration for me if he is keen. He shoots well with the rimfire in light conditions, but like most Juniors has a bit of trouble once the wind picks up so Batemans Bay will be a real challenge.
The weekend should be a good one so really looking forward to it.

Regards

David Dundas

Re: loan Rifle 6.5x47 Lapua is completed

hi mate i will load up the 6mm Dasher for your son if that is ok it is a great shooter and has had a third placing the last time it was shot it so it shoots well. The Cost is the same as the loaner at $125.00 for the Day, This rifle will shoot as good as any rifle i own so your son should do well in the Juniors with it. At the moment i don't have a set of scales and i have changed the scope since i last shot it so, i think it will be right for LG but you never know either way your son is aiming at the two gun agg anyway. I hope he beats us all with it.....

cheers and good shooting
Les

Re: loan Rifle 6.5x47 Lapua is completed

David Dundas
Thanks Les

I will let Alex kwow the great news and will register him in the match. Won't matter about the weight as you say as he is looking for the two agg. Price is a bargain for the young block to be able to shoot something that he will remember for the rest of his life.

Look forward to seeing you there.

Dave Dundas
12