target scoring tools

Stuart Pethy
Hi Peeps
just wondering what target scoring tools are out there and where a bouts is the best place to buy them
i can find .22 stuff but nothing much on CF stuff
cheers
Pethy

Re: target scoring tools

Dave Groves
G'day Pethy,

So, prefacing this reply with the fact that I am not a frequent scorer, and am usually scoring targets intermittently for our Bat Shoot or examining them as the Match Director or a member of the Protest process at a Registered Match.

I think the most important tool we need in Fly is to examine bullet holes to determine "doubles" and the tools below have been excellent in this regard, they are also very handy for determining line calls without disturbing the bullet hole in the first instance, as it is best practice to only "plug" or "gauge" a bullet hole one time for the purposes of determining such things.

Anthony Hall introduced me to the Eagle Eye, his scorer Steve Ball has one for their shoots and had it with him at a match in Canberra where it resolved a challenged shot, it made it easier to see the double that was there on the target. Eagle Eyes are magnifiers, with rings engraved into the bottom surface that you place over the target in question.

After seeing Steve's Eagle Eye, I thought we would actually need one for 6mm, but I contacted Creedmoor and had no success in them considering the production of one, so I purchased these two shortly afterwards. The combination of these two which cover .177 and .221 (Yellow) and .224 and .308 (Green) seems to do the trick on all of the calibres that we use in Fly. Allowing you to examine the holes and look for "roundness" or some other irregularity to determine a "double".

I bought these from Creedmoor Sports in the US and they live in my Pelican case with my front rest so they are usually always at the range with me now. I think they are a great investment for clubs, and have considered organising a group buy which I think I am happy to do if there is sufficient interest.

By the way, keep them in a box, they are a bit fragile....

Cheers,

Dave.

Eagle_Eyes.jpg.

Re: target scoring tools

Stuart Pethy
This post was updated on .
thanks Dave
yeah they are the ones I've been looking at but didn't see the sizes we need. but i will get the ones you recommend and get a box for them

edit having a few problems with trying to get their website to give me a shipping cost to OZ, i have sent them an email and see what they say (wont except my post code to give a quote on international shipping)
but while there i also saw this which will be handy

cheers
Pethy

Re: target scoring tools

chappo (Greg Chapman)
Sign me up for a group buy if possible please.
"Only accurate rifles are interesting". Col Townsend Whelen