lets talk 22 rimfire

P. Read (Chopper)
Gday all
as above
have not seen much yap about 200 rimfire or equipment ?
myself over the past 6 months have been going bush with my new 22 and trying it out
what a headache
Chopper

Re: lets talk 22 rimfire

David Dundas
Hi Chopper,

The site has been pretty quiet overall lately, probably because we have been in lockdown and no competitions have been on.

Not sure what rifle you have, but over the years I have seen people with just about every brand do well at 200y after a bit of work. If you are having trouble with your rifle and need help then just post what you have and what your experiencing and I am sure there are some experts on here that can point you in the right direction.

The most common mistake I have seen from new shooters to longer distances is that they choose, high velocity or worse hyper velocity ammo - they just don't work. Good quality target ammo (Subsonic) that works well in your rifle is the way forward. Most common ammo used in competition is RWS R50 and R100 and Eley Match or TENEX, there are others but you will see more of these than other brands.
I have seen open sites and small power scopes used with a spotting scope at hand, but to be able to hold off on a wind condition in a timely fashion then you will need to see your shots on target. I good quality scope with a 24X or better will allow you to see the holes on paper, if shooting metal splash plates then you don't need as much power.  Brands such as Nightforce, Leupold and Sightron with powers upto 55X are common, but its the quality of the glass rather than the outright power. We have 2 Rimfire rifles for Fly, one has a fixed power 45x and the other has Nightforce 15-55x and both do well with the task at hand.
If you can get your rifle shooting tiny groups at 50m, then it should not be a lot of work to get some good groups (sub 2 inch) at 200 yards. Of course if there is any wind to speak of then it gets incredibly hard not to string them across the page.

Cheers

Dave

Re: lets talk 22 rimfire

stuart veal
G'day chopp,  It is understandable that things have been a bit quiet on the forum of  late but with some restrictions being eased in regards to ranges opening up I'm expecting that to change pretty soon.
Personally I have been eagerly awaiting  for my rimfire build to be completed and a huge thank you goes out to Luke of Procal for getting it done so quick for me, I just have to wait now for further restrictions to be lifted before I'll be able to do anything with it.
Stay safe all.
Cheers Stuey.

Re: lets talk 22 rimfire

Michael Bell
Administrator
"Ready" you old dog!
Rimfire will do your head in that's for sure......what are you using?
Belly
Michael Bell

Re: lets talk 22 rimfire

P. Read (Chopper)
Gday Blondie
Purchased a CZ 457 MTR thought it would be good for bush and bench with the forged 16 inch and an extra 20 inch  and am very happy with both barrels After using around 1100 rounds
Then I purchased an IBI spiral fluted  barrel  that was not hard to get going and am over the moon with it,
Then I took off the NF 12x42x56 and replaced it with a Zerotech 4.5x27x50 with an R3 reticle .
And its Staying on  I LOVE it,  it looks great
I dont know how to put up photos yet so you will have to waite
by the way the IBI has keyholed at 50 and I have had 12mm groups at 100 . the best at 200mtrs. not yards was 44mm and yes it was a good patch of weather, but because of crap conditions have not as yet been near that again,  took a bit to find the right ammo and as you would know Only likes  the expensive stuff at 200
Chopper

PS The grandson loves  it,  he got his first duck at 120  and he is now a SSAA junior member

Re: lets talk 22 rimfire

P. Read (Chopper)
And I must say that the long CZ barrel performed much better and more consistent only after I lead slugged it and found it a fraction sloppy at the last 20mm , so docked and re crowned, Away it went. the flyers now are rare, Chopper

Re: lets talk 22 rimfire

David Dundas
Chopper,

Sounds like you are getting pretty good groups at 200m already, 44mm is pretty good. Like you said the more expensive ammo if more consistent and is needed at 100 and beyond.
My preference has always been for a longer barrel, but have seen a couple of 20 inch ones work very well.

Cheers

Dave