Wind flags

Hi all would you like to all contribute to comment on wind reading flags, i have a number of flags such as the BRT, home made balls's designed by STuart Elliot, dual vane, up/down flags from graham flags in the USA. But i was very pleased to see the small NRA type flags by Paul Deehan which impressed me.

I think alot of new shooters would benefit from ideas of how to make very tall flags and other wind indicators. Pete Van muers also has different flags with float type ends which also work well.

Anyway i thing there is an opportunity for everyone to make a comment about their respective flags and what they think works.

Les

Re: Wind flags

I am sure lots of people have opinions and favourites styles of flags etc, but I think that the most important thing is to have a set of flags that are your own....get to know them....... and use them everytime you shoot.

The more contitions you practice over them in, the better you will be able to read them.  Does not matter if its load development, club matches, major matches or simple practice..... set them up and use them whenever you can.

I like to go to the extra trouble to have the last 3 or 4 in the bottom of the scope (just on the bottom of the splash plate)and have developed a system of extendable poles that helps me achieve this quickly.....  The first couple I like just below the rest so it doesn't block the view up range of the others.

Re: Wind flags

Peter Merriman
Hi Anthony

At what distance apart do you set up your flags over both 3 & 5 hundred meters?
And how many flags do you use over these 2 distances?

Peter

Re: Wind flags

Hi Peter,

I use 5 flags for 300 and 6 for 500..... I found that 5 was a bit light at 500 and I was compromising somewhere and you can't concentrate on many more than 6 in my opinion...... but clearly the more the merrier, just remember that its more work to set up and pack up......not to mention buying the buggers.

I like the first flag to be just in front of the bench and the next 2 (regardless of 300 or 500) inside the first 100m.  With the others, I look for topography on the range that I feel is going to cause wind pockets (ie a valley in the adjoining hill, or a break in the trees line etc). and place one there.  I also avoid the bottom of a valley if practical as the pole needs to go bloody high....

In an ideal world I would set up .
5-10m, 50m & 80-100, then 200, 300, 400 & 475 -  with the last 3 or 4 in the scope For 500m
5-10m, 50m, 80-100, 150 200, 250-275 - with the last 3 in the scope for 300m.

But as long as the first 2 are close, I am a bit flexible on the rest to suit the range.

Re: Wind flags

Peter Merriman
Thanks Anthony.

Re: Wind flags

chris Rigby
hi les

do you have any photos of the small  NRA wind flags by paul Deehan.

chris

Re: Wind flags

Sorry Chris i don't have a picture i will try and get Paul to take a photo but if you are going to Wagga i suspect he will bring them with him. I think they are great and look forward to seeing them at every event.
cheers Les

Re: Wind flags

A really good strategy Peter is once you get your flags get a hold of a wind meter like a windmate or Kestral and then calibrate what different velocities are on your own flags. Every flag is different and as such you can only get the best from learning how to read your own.

cheers Les

Re: Wind flags

steve eades
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Wind flags

Pete van Meurs
Banned User
Steve,

With all due respect, we are not whacking a round ball just to have to walk after it! Such flags would be next to useless in shooting matches.

pete

Re: Wind flags

Hi steve any flags is a good flag as long as you can estimate the speed of the flow of air. Flags like the one you have a picture of would have different material weight indicate the wind velocity which is very hard when there are alot of flags on the range which also interrupt air flow.

Paul Deehan has mini full bore flags which i  think are tremendous, being a full bore shooter myself. But i also use I ball's BRT flags, dual vein flags. There are pro's and con's for them all steve so it is far better to have a flag of any description than not to have one at all. So please mate try what you like as long as it makes sense to you.

cheers Les

Re: Wind flags

Peter Merriman
Hi Les

I would be very interested in heaing about the poles or stands  people use, the pros and cons but also where to buy them or how to make them?

Thanks Peter

Re: Wind flags

steve eades
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Wind flags

Hi Steve at the bay if you want to learn about wind reading I am happy to help as much as I can so if you come to the bay then see me there. I am sure others will assist as well

Re: Wind flags

Another very good tool Peter is the charts that are on the tips and tricks section of the website they are very informative and will help you with wind effects on bullet fall of shot.
cheers Les

Re: Wind flags

Peter Merriman
Thanks Les,

I have purchased some flags and am just waiting on them to arrive.
There is a park across from my place so I will be setting a couple up to get an idea of how they move and how the changing conditions effect them.

Peter

Re: Wind flags

Hi Peter well done what sort of flags did you get? also mate a truly valuable exercise is to put a wind meter like a Kestral or windmate about 10 feet in front of the flag and using a high resolution camera that has multiple focus points take a picture of the flag at use with the wind reading exact that will give you something to work on when you do your load development.

When you have an estimate of wind value you can then shoot and plot shots that compare to your readings and then you are well on your way to reading the conditions pertaining to Wind only, then you will have to learn mirage and temperature fluctuations and directional spindrift but you will have a great starting point if you get the wind estimations going.

cheers Les

Re: Wind flags

Peter Merriman
Hi Les,

I picked up some of the type similar to the BRT flags.
They are in very good condition and did not cost the earth.
So should be a very good investment.

Peter