Wind Flags

Rob V
This post was updated on .
Just after some info regarding Wind flags etc..
Can someone tell me what pole height would be needed to shoot at the various ranges for fly.
Wagga / ACT / B-Bay / Little River..

Also what are most people using the soft surveyors tape tails or the more rigid "U" shapes sail tales..

Thanks
Rob.V

Re: Wind Flags

David Dundas
Hi Rob

The exact length of flag polls for each range is not something I can answer but I use the BRT flags which have extentions pieces and it serves me well for most ranges. I have 6 flags in all, two polls are very short  and I recall using the short polls at Canberra last year for close up to the bench, I have a selection of short and long tails as well as different tails for light or windy conditions. ie Standard BRT flag tail for moderate to windy and surveyers tape for very light conditions.
Batemans Bay requires longer polls and while I don't have the really long ones, I do extend my polls by another 4ft above their max (Dowell from Bunnings works fine) - 4ft polls fit nicely in the boot of my car, but if I had more room than would have made them longer.
Not sure about the other ranges you mention, but hopefully other shooters can chip in here.

Good shooting,

Dave

Re: Wind Flags

chappo (Greg Chapman)
I have made my own poles to use with the barry edgely flags. I have made poles that go from4 to 12 feet and the longs that go from 1.5m to 7.5m.  They work at canberra, the Bay, Wagga and Melbourne.
They cost me over $100 each in just materials but well worth it.
"Only accurate rifles are interesting". Col Townsend Whelen

Re: Wind Flags

goodi
around 10 years ago I easily adapted glidex telescopic poles to suit my ball flags.

https://www.cleaningshop.com.au/contents/en-us/d788.html

search -" telescopic extension poles"

they can be easily attached or anchored to star posts with zip ties.

cheers

dave g

Re: Wind Flags

Rob V
thanks for the info...
chappo.. roughly how high would the longest pole you use a wagga be?

Re: Wind Flags

sandy09
I am also confused about that, but after I read the above posting, I find the answer.

Re: Wind Flags

chappo (Greg Chapman)
Rob, have a look at mine at wagga. Can get to 7.5m from stuff available at some steel shops.
"Only accurate rifles are interesting". Col Townsend Whelen