Whats the future for Fly shooting????

Dave Purcell
Well guys what do we think the future holds for this event?????
Will more ranges come on line ?
Can anyone see any big changes in equipment?
Will a particular chambering finally dominate? if so which one and why?
What can we do to help Fly shooting grow????

Re: Whats the future for Fly shooting????

I don't know how it will grow unless more people get involved in the administration side of things. Pete Vanmuers does a great job of scoring etc and is happy to do it at other events.

As for the event itself it is going great there are more shooter than before and there certainly is more hot competition at the bench with the quality of gear that is about the sky is the limit providing the budget is there also.

As for domination i don't think there will ever be one single outstanding cartridge out there the 6mm seems to be hot for LG and HG seems to be the big 30cals.

I guess for me it is speaking confidently about the sport where ever you can and being able to understand that the sport is not for everyone. I would like to see a straight out factory class in the 500m fly with rules like no custom stocks barrel blocks, they must be a repeater and so on that way if someone wants to try their luck with a sako or Remington out of the box then away they go.

The really promising shooting  that is helping the sport is the 300m fly people are getting great results and instant feedback because most scopes handle this distance. Then they can step up to the 500m shoot and have a crack at this, 500m fly is a long range precision match that you just can't take lightly if you want to win.

500m fly is a test of skill, endurance, equipment and ability it is an all round event and holding over a whole day certainly sorts the wheat from the chaff.

Re: Whats the future for Fly shooting????

I think that 500m fly shooting has a great future.

It is probably the pinnacle of long range benchrest precision shooting, but like any sport, it needs to be grown from club level....  It is growing well now, and cetainly in my limited experience, there is a lot more stiff competition at the top of the field than in years gone by. Also a lot more top notch equipment on the benches.

But we need to support and promote Club level events.... we ran a 200m Fly at the range today....there were juniors and people who don't normally shoot the fly.... that's how we need to teach them and get them into it !!

200m Rimfire and 300m Centre fireFly can be shot enjoyably with very affordable gear.... at club level your average shooter can have a go with what they have and learn how much fun it is from there.

If you want to see the sport really grow.... give some of your time to go and run club events, help out some juniors and maybe encourage some people to have a go.

As Les said....6mm seems to dominate LG and 30cal HG..... but it is a lot different to short range BR where you basically have 3 choices of cartridge if you want to win.....they are the 6ppc, a 6ppc or a really good 6ppc ......

Over 500m  in LG, the conditions will one day suit 6BR and another day 6.5x284 or 260 etc..... on the in between days a 6 or 6.5x47 seems like another good choice.

The future looks great, and I look forward to seeing this sport grow to new levels over the next 2-3 years.  There really are some great people out there in our sport.

Re: Whats the future for Fly shooting????

the rat,,,jacko
interesting subject,,,ive been out of it fore a few years and its amazing the numbers now,,,thats great,,,
full credit to lez fore setting this site up,,,the sport iz going from strength to strength,,future iz bright,,but
it does need more support at club level,,,az far az i see , the 300m iz a god send ,,,its just the wright distance to make it a hole lot of fun and open up all sorts of calibres,,i think this mite even become more popular than the 500m in time,,
the most dominate  chambering ,,well that can be discused fore ever,,they r all good,,,its more to do with the person and how well there gun iz tuned rather than calibre,,shore different conditions suit different calibres,,but az the wind gets stronger ,,the calibre becomes  bigger,,,the 30 s   do well because theres more of them,,,,the big 7mm iz potent ,,when loaded wright and tuned well ,these take some beating,,but its high maitance ,,so not fore every one,,,thats wot iz great about this sport ,,trial and error,,stats hav my big 7mm at the top of the heap,,every time she hits the bench its up there near the leaders ,,bitting at the back of them and every now and then it wins,,if more people had this chambering it would be scary at the dommince it would hav,,thank god theres not ,lol
the 500m iz a great shoot ,,but its just a warm up fore the holy grale event ,,,sub 4 inch 10 shot group at 1000yds IBs
  THE RAT IZ BACK,,,better make shore i take the wright bolt in future,,dam it woz a long drive,,,

Re: Whats the future for Fly shooting????

Hi mate we are back up and running. Can you please change your ID so it is your real name that way everyone new and old to the sport has the same sign in message.

Thanks mate really glad you are back at this sport

Talk soon Les