Try other shooting sports

Hi all there has not been all that much forum chat of late so i thought i might get a topic going. I recently shot the sporter class in short range bench rest i can thoroughly recommend that every fly shooter should have a go at short range bench rest. It certainly helps out with bench set up and technique and hones your repeatability shot after shot.

It is intense when you see how it works, they shoot then reload at the range then shoot again and so on very very busy. i go pre loaded when i can and just enjoy the day. If reloading kit and nice guns were toys they have the whole package.\

come and have a go at it i am certain shooting 150 rounds per day would interest you.

cheers to all Les

Re: Try other shooting sports

Deane Thrower
Les,

Definitely is food for thought, and as we all know there is no substitute for spending time at the bench. 150 rounds certainly would be a fun day. I may just have to go and have a look at what is involved in setting up.

As far as building a rifle what is the common gear that is used?

Cheers

Deane
Just doing my part to reduce the fly population!!!!

Re: Try other shooting sports

mate most guys go for Light Varmit and Heavy Varmit class rifles and it depends on weight but 6ppc seems to be the major choice with 64 columb bergers and 29.6 grn BM2 if you have a look at Rob Carnells site Benchrest Bulletin it has alot of information on it.

If you just wanted to have a go let me know if i am ther you can use my gear to give it a try. It is alot of fun.

cheers Les

Re: Try other shooting sports

max coady
Les
You forgot to say that you Won the Sporter Class.
Over 10 Targets, 40 Shooters, 50 scoring shots, score of .3131".

Well Done
Max

Re: Try other shooting sports

Deane Thrower
Well done Les, I was just thinking that you shooting an extra 150 rounds per match is going to mean one thing.....you going to be even harder to beat :). It gets you thinking that one of these days we are going to have a ridiculously small group shot. Look at Rodney Wagners group at 600y, 0.341" WOW. Would be great to see some groups like that at the Fly, and there are so many guys capable.

Short Range can only be a good thing for refining technique for the Fly.

Thanks Les and I will certainly take you up on the offer at some stage

Cheers
Just doing my part to reduce the fly population!!!!

Re: Try other shooting sports

Thanks Max and Dean I had a great day, I really hope other fly shooters try the short range bench rest as this is how numbers grow in the varying disciplines.i think to grow a not so society applauded sport we need to lock inward to grow. I would hope some short range guys will come and have a crack at the long range.

Cheers to all just boarding the plan to travel back to Australia from New Zealand which is a living postcard of scenery

All the best Alison and Les

Re: Try other shooting sports

Michael Bell
Administrator
Well done Les...great start to your short range exploits!!

When we think about it there's an awful lot we can try within the shooting sports...rimfire, air rifle, pistol, even shotgun if we should so choose.

I have every intention of having a go at short range one day..I even have a second hand PPC  (that I haven't fired ), sitting in my gun safe with some  rounds waiting to be fire formed!

I most certainly will also have a go at F-Class & will use my fly rifles for that. It's just a matter of finding the time as I still have a strong commitment to 500 Fly and wish to attend as many of those matches as I can.

One things for sure, work certainly gets in the way of a good time....I might have to back away from the job a bit but then I'd be presented with the obvious dilemma...How do I pay for the toys???

Belly.
Michael Bell