To much gun for some

I am sure this post will warrant some great debate.

The rifle you are shooting is it the right gun for you or do you have a caliber that you cannot handle and don't know how to tame it.

Having seen lots of shooters pick a caliber that they feel is the right one only to find out that it kicks like a horse and you cannot settle the rifle for the next shot quickly enough to engage the target under a constant condition.

In light gun the 17lb limit is all you have to play with so a 6.5x284 loaded up to the hilt with a heavy projectile is going to kick you there is no doubt about it. Can this caliber deliver a win yes most certainly but the most consistent winners of the fly over the time i have been in the sport are the 6mm family.

I am not saying that 6mm are the only rifles to have what i am saying is can you drive the beast you have loaded. I know there are any number of people who have seen a light 300wm or 338 lapua bark beside them and the shooters have had a blast and blasted everyone else as well but is this much horse power needed to be toned down with an appropriately heavy stock to increase the accuracy potential and placings for this outfit.

very shortly i will be developing my 300 Ack improved which is a .375H&H case necked to .30 cal with 40' shoulders and i will be running 200 grn projectiles in it but the rifle weights alot but it does track well and the Harmonics of the rifle are right for it.

If you have a heavy kicker and want to shoot LG there are things you can do. lighter loads, widen the fore end to control the twisting of the rifle under recoil. straight line track the stock are some of the things you can do.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for shooters who have to much gun....................

Re: To much gun for some

It is an interesting topic and certainly should form a part of the planning process for either shooters getting into the sport or those looking at new builds etc.

I agree with Les, that reciol does play a large part, it effects comfort, speed and the ability to concentrate on conditions and wind flags during a string.  It also is more demanding on your rest, bags and stock all working well together.

I know that at club matches when I shoot my factory .308, it weighs very little (11-12lb) and has a normal rounded stock etc, I have to totally adjust the way I shoot it and can not be anywhere near as quick or consistant as I can with my benchrest rifle... It also bucks and kicks enough to break my concentration if I am not careful.

I think that what the  6mm's lack in ballistics, they more than make up for in pin point accuracy in good conditions, and the ability to get the shots away quickly and notice changes etc during difficult wind shifts.  I can fire my 5 shots in under 20 seconds with the 6BR.... try and do that with a light gun in 300 win mag and you will appreciate the difference.

Back to Les's question about what you can do with the gun you already have..... my suggestions are

1) us the 17lb weight limit..... if your varmint rifle is 12 pounds, add a heavy 3" wide stainless plate to help it track, or better still replace the stock with a benchrest style stock that tracks well and brings the weight up.  Ideally you should be around 16.80 pounds (with scope covers on for safety).

2) Make sure your bags and front rest are heavy, solid and that the rifle tracks well under recoil.... add some powder lubricate the bags if needed to ensure it does not grip and jump under recoil. Make sure you are not hitting sling swivels during recoil....

3) Practice consistency and work out if free recoil or holding it firmly etc works the best for you..... whichever method practice speed and concentration while shooting a string.