Tips and Tricks

Hi shooters would you like to contribute to the tips and tricks section of the site, if you have any valuable shooting tips or tricks you are willing to pass on to other shooters then please drop them as a post and i will up them up.

I think there is alot to be gained by adding good advice to up and coming shooters, there is an enormous amount of really good knowledge out there so please pass it on.....

cheers and good shooting
Les

Re: Tips and Tricks

Hi Les,

A tip I would pass on to improve your score would be;
Get yourself a  quality set of 4 or 5 flags and long adjustable poles, practice setting them up so that at least 2 or 3 are visable in the bottom of your scope and practice using them.  Once you learn to read them, watch for patterns and trust them...... your scores will go up considerably.  A .22lr at 100m in a stiff breaze & 200m  on calmer days is great practice with your flags.   For big matches it means getting there around 2 hours before (or the day before if you can).... but it is certainly well worth the effort.

Re: Tips and Tricks

Sebastian Lambang
Hi Les, Good thread!

I don't know much about Flyshoot...so I do not have any tips. But I have some "tricks" for myself anyway.

I keep my mind to beat myself, not the competitors.
When it's my turn to shoot, I try to calming down my heart beat and be confident as possible.
I push my mind "to think" that "I'm a good shooter"....although I'm not! lol.
I try to make sure that my rifle &rest setup to be as perfect & inline as possible.
I will set my front rest level (just from side to side / left-right side), make sure that the legs sit solidly on bench top, punch my rear bag down to be more stable & settle, move the gun back & forth and check if my cross hair always comes back to the original point of aim (or very closely), to get the most comfort position & correct stool height. I also check the scope parallax & focus for each relay.  Etc.
I adjust the things if needed.
I try to do it all as quick as possible so I can have enough/more time to watch the current condition and to think what would I do within the limit time frame.
I try to watch the current mirage and how it "moves" my crosshair.
I try to watch the wind pattern of the range before the shoot or when Q'-ing for my relay.
I try to take a deep breath or two, once the "insert your bolt in" or "commence firing" is announced.
I don't bring mobile or turn if off when I shoot for my relay.  (Well, just in case!)
I try to be focus on the shoot only.

When I begin to shoot:
- I try to to not doubling.
- One or two rounds for sighter plate and see how much I must hold off. I don't "click".
  (at Madden, my point of aim is usually to the left edge side of the plate. I then "convert" it to the paper target below)
 - This might be wrong, but I always try to see my first bullet hole/impact on the paper, adjust/hold of accordingly, then shoot the string as quick as possible.
- I will stop if needed, or when I have to.
- I use the 3nd sighter round just in case I don't/ can't finish the string.
- I found that my new gun didn't need more than one fouler shot (it shot about the same between the 1st & 2nd shot after cleaning), so to use the 2nd and 3rd round sighter in the middle of the string could be more better....especially in a very switchy condition.

- I pin my gun against the foreend stop a bit. (I probably don't do it for smaller/lighter caliber).
- I also shoot free recoil with my LG. I'll try different holds next time to see which one works better.
- I keep both my eyes open. (anyway it's not really helpful/important when there is not enough wind flags in the firing line. I can't see mirage with my left eye for sure, I can't read simple long wind socks too).
I think my only "tip" is,  to bring your own wind flags!

Maybe one more... always check your gun & equipments! You need to know every aspect/detail of your gears, the pluses & minuses etc....just in case one or more things do not work properly.

Cheers,
seb.

Re: Tips and Tricks

john mc quire
Hi fellow fly shooters
                                         the display eight rounds command at the start of a detail is the standard call
                   but how do you display your rounds   ?
                have you ever lost count of the sighters you have shot  or had to think about it
                    you don't need any distractions while shooting your target   -- none at all  --
               i have found that by having a loading block that holds my rounds  in two separate areas  helps me
                    the three sighters are in a line on one edge of my block and the  five counting scorer  rounds
               are on the other edge of my loading block
                   this way its not a problem with mixing up your sighters and counters
               its just one thing less to give you a problem
                                  cheers
                             john mc quire
  Every Shot inside the Eight Ring would be GREAT