The Passing of Jim McKinley

Rob Eager
Last evening, Jim McKinley perished in a fire at his home in Canberra. He was one of the "greats" of shooting sports in this country.

Jim's home is now a crime scene, and the cause of the fire is yet to be determined, but it appears to have started in Jim's beloved "shed" around 9.30 PM on Sunday evening.

Re: The Passing of Jim McKinley

Glen Aarsen
That is very sad news.

Glen

Re: The Passing of Jim McKinley

Yes, details are a bit sketchy still..... but there are photos of the house on canberra times web site.

Very sad newsindeed and Jim will be greatly missed in the shooting community and remembered forever for his contribution to the development of the sport we all love today !!

Re: The Passing of Jim McKinley

Mark Smith
Jim has been sponsoring young shooters for years.
One of them was my daughter Amanda.  She brought me this terrible news after I got home tonight.
Rest in peace Jim, you were truly a gentleman and a good man. You will be sorely missed. My children adored you and the selflessness and guidance you gave them so freely.

Re: The Passing of Jim McKinley

Stuart Elliott
Yes very sad to hear about the passing of Jim. Condolences to wife Ann, sons Ed and Joe and daughter Stephanie.
He certaiunly was a long time volunteer and shooting sports promoter. He worked tirelessly for over 30 years within the SSAA ACT.
The icon of Majura range always was of 'Slim Jim"
It was he and John Rawson who started the first 500 Fly Shoot.

Latest update article from the Canberra Times is here:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/house-fire-victim-respected-shooter-and-fine-man-20130107-2cbor.html

Here's a photo of how I would like to remember him. Shooting Fly, at Majura with as big a cartridge as he can. 338 Lapua Magnum. "Big Red" was one of his favourites.

Stuart and Annie
Every shot pleases somebody..........

Re: The Passing of Jim McKinley

It is with heavy heart i read this sad news about one of the sports gentlemen, mine and Alison's thoughts go out to Jim's Family and close friends.  Jim was one of the characters of the sport of rifle shooting i have known Jim for a few years through fly shooting but he always tried to do what was right and always willing to help.

Rest in Peace mate.

Les and Alison..

Re: The Passing of Jim McKinley

Rob_White
Sad news indeed.   Canberra Times has set up a guest book for comments and condolences at:

http://www.legacy.com/guestbooks/canberratimes-au/guestbook.aspx?n=james-mckinley&pid=162224352&cid=full

It will be open until 13 Feb.