Shooting benches

Fred Blacker
Has anyone ever shot from benches with tops made from anything other than concrete. After some feed back from those who have. Positive and negative. I have only ever shot ri.fire from anything else, after some feed back from anyone who has used for centerfire.

Re: Shooting benches

max coady
Fred
A lot of years ago, benches were, round timber posts and hard wood tops, I have photos.
I have seen one with round timber top and sawn in half, it was on a small bore prone range, used for sighting in.
Max

Re: Shooting benches

Peter Merriman
Hi Fred,

The Canberra Rifle Club have portable benches that we use every weekend.
The benches have a steel frame and timber / ply top.
They have one leg that can be adjusted to make sure that they are stable.

Peter

Re: Shooting benches

Michael Bell
Administrator
G'day Fred,
I practise & develop loads from a portable bench I had made.

It's a bit cumbersome but it comes apart so I can get it into the back of my car. The legs screw into threaded plates that I bought from an irrigation supplier which are screwed to blocks that are glued to the bench top & cut at an angle a little so the legs are splayed ( to help with making it more solid).
It's a bit of a pain to get level out on farms but is achievable by scratching away at the dirt under one of the legs until it is balanced.

The idea of having one leg adjustable as per Pete's post is a very good one which I will have to think about for my bench.

It does wobble a tiny bit so I'll claim (tongue in cheek) that's it's good for technique......

Pic attached of bench & gear at a 300 meter range on a mates farm.
Take note of the target in front of a tree at 300 & go to my next post......
Regards,
Belly

Michael Bell

Re: Shooting benches

Michael Bell
Administrator
How much practise is too much practise??

As mentioned, I shoot at a mates farm from time to time & I think this pic just might explain why he's getting a bit fed up with me!!!
I place the target in front of this tree as a back stop....I reckon I'll have the whole thing on the ground pretty soon!!

My better half tells me I should have a good long look at myself in the mirror.....I'll admit it might be a little on the obsessive,

compulsive side.

.
Michael Bell

Re: Shooting benches