SEB NEO Coaxial Front Rest

Denis Aarons
Hi guys,

Is anyone here using one yet.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers, Denis.
"No flys on me!...............yet".

Re: SEB NEO Coaxial Front Rest

john mc quire
Denis    I have been using a NEO rest for about one year now
             and i have found it very good to use
               the NEO rest has much more vertical adjustment than most other rests
             and that means that you will not need any rear bag spacers  to get on target
           i can shoot  Brisbane  - Canberra - Batemans Bay - Little River - and Townsville
          with the same rest and rear bag   -- before i had a NEO rest i had to carry a few different bags
        and rear bag spacers to be able to get on target  --
            the NEO rest also can be used with 4.00 inch wide fore-ends  with out any different bags needed
           so i can use it for short range BR rifles - Hunter class  and fly guns  - just by altering the width of the
            ears on the front bag ----- makes life a fair bit easier  when you go to all the different types of shoots  --
                        hope this answers some of your questions
                               john mc quire
  Every Shot inside the Eight Ring would be GREAT

Re: SEB NEO Coaxial Front Rest

Hi Denis yeh i am waiting on a NEO as well the extra height is need when you shoot so many ranges and John is a well travelled flyshooter who has been to nearly all the ranges.

When you get a great rest set up that works for the type of shooting you want then go with it. A joystick rest really does have an advantage when it is rough and the conditions are changing quickly. However on a still day with little change just minor adjustment then a fixed rest with windage is also great.

I have recenly purchased a farley and they are a great rest to with lots of positive features as a joystick rest. Sinclair with a butch lambert top on it is also a great rest, i think personal preference will come into it a little. I am sure where ever you are and you get to the range ask guys for a try of their rests i am sure no one will say no. Flyshooters want to help other shooters out.

cheers and good shooting Les

Re: SEB NEO Coaxial Front Rest

Denis Aarons
Since I've been shooting my 6BR, I've been using a cheap coaxial  Caldwell Firecontrol.  I've had to modify it in a few ways just to get it to an acceptable level.  I want to buy a "REAL" coaxial rest now that will last my shooting days and the NEO looks amazing but the availability is a killer at the moment with a potential waiting list of 2 years.

WOW.
"No flys on me!...............yet".

Re: SEB NEO Coaxial Front Rest

Nick Aagren
Administrator
Denis

A feature of the Seb Neo that I have found useful is the ability to take it apart for transporting, Being able to take off the joy stick and the front "leg" makes it more compact for travel. Dismantling and reassembly takes a matter of minutes.
The rest comes with the required allen keys for both assembly and adjustment of the front rest to the rifle stock.

At  the time of purchase in 2010 I made an intial 50% deposit and my waiting period was 5 months, so I count myself lucky. Two years is a long time to make that commitment. I do not have other rests to compare it with as I committed to the Neo at the outset rather than get the cheaper cadwell to begin with then upgrade. In my case I have been very happy with its performance. Vertical adjustment is great and joy stick movement is precise without any wandering after adjustment.

Nick

Re: SEB NEO Coaxial Front Rest

Denis Aarons
Hi guys,

I'm a moron!

I spoke to Rob Carnell today via email and the wait is 4 months not 24 months.  I'll clean the wax out.  4 months is no worries for such a good product.

I'm getting one ordered today.

Thanks for the info guys and sorry to anyone I may have put out with my "24 month waiting list" post.

Denis.
"No flys on me!...............yet".

Re: SEB NEO Coaxial Front Rest

Stuart Elliott
Denis,
I am sure the NEO will be fine. But just to let you know a couple of other options. The Farley Coax benchrests (new versions) I have just received another shipment of 22. About 4 are left uncommitted so far. So that is available now.
Also we are now the agents for the new SEB MAX coaxial  rest but it will not be available for 3 or 4 months either. It is a larger version of the NEO design. It can handle front stock widths from 2-1/2" to 8" wide. There is a view of one I am using on this  video on my youtibe channel. Sebastian left us this one when he stayed with us 3 weeks ago. This is adjusted to my 5" wide stock.

I am prepared to take orders for these too but I do not require deposits.

http://youtu.be/7h89kQHBGug?hd=1

Stuart Elliott
Every shot pleases somebody..........

Re: SEB NEO Coaxial Front Rest

Denis Aarons
I love watching you shoot that rifle Stuart the recoil makes it look like your shooting a small caliber.  I suppose thats the weight in the "big girl" (and your technique).  That rest looks amazing.  Unfortunately I have committed to the NEO laying down a deposit yesterday.

They really look like a beautiful rest to work with.

One simple feature that I like is that the course elevation knobs are ambidextrous.
"No flys on me!...............yet".

Re: SEB NEO Coaxial Front Rest

Sebastian Lambang
This post was updated on .
Dennis,
Just find this thread....thanks you for your interest in my front rest!

I have 10 NEO shipped to Rob last week, he received the parcels several days ago. Hope you're in his list for these rests.

Re: differences between the NEO & the MAX.
The MAX is larger and heavier. It's "big brother" of the NEO, designed for shooters who shoot Heavy Gun with extra wide stock. The side plates assembly is adjustable from "zero" up to 8 inches wide.
It will come with a standard adjustable counter weight, for smoother operation. It can accept 60 lbs (or so) rifle.
(optional counter weight will be available on request, for instance if the rifle weighs more than 60 lbs).
(optional one piece bag will be available also on request, for instance 5", 6", 7", 8").
The innard parts, etc, resemble the NEO. A combination of horizontal "groove" & "pin" inside will be added to prevent lateral/horizontal movement on the top.
The MAX will weighs approximately 16 kgs +, excluded the counter weight. The standard counter weight will be approx. 3 kgs. Total approx. 19 kgs.
Yes, it's heavy but not too heavy to bring / to transport. It's a reasonable weight... not too heavy/overkill, not too light.
It will pack approx. 13 cm x 25 cm x 43cm when stacked. plus the counter weight.

Will it work fine for Heavy Gun?
Well, many people wondering if a coaxial rest can be used very well (or still smooth) for Heavy Gun. --- I can assure you here that it will / it CAN! --- (even the NEO can, with the use of proper counter balance weight).
Mike Ratigan (USA) & Stuart Elliot (AUS) both agree that my counter balance weight system is the best system to use in a coaxial rest. It gives a uniform tension, at all/any places within the coaxial range motion, whether it's in the very top or very bottom of the range motion.
The only "drawback" is, it gives more weight & space to store. But for Heavy gun?...You know the answer.
If you guys here interested with the MAX rest, Stuart & Annie BRT is the Dealer.
***However please be advised that due to my workloads and the fact that my rests are custom/handmade (which takes a lot of time to built), also that I have to send my rests to over 2 dozens countries, demand exceeds supply etc, and that I work on first come first serve basis, the lead time wouldn't be short.

The NEO rest have already considered, by many (even from USA top shooters), as the best/finest/smoothest/most good looking coaxial rest in the market, and I'm quite proud with it! --- I will make sure that the MAX, too.

So Dennis, the only drawback of the NEO is the limited 4" wide top's range. Other than that, it's fine & you wouldn't be sorry with it.

Best Wishes,
seb.

Re: SEB NEO Coaxial Front Rest

Hi Seb who will be your dealer for the MAX rests....
cheers Les

Re: SEB NEO Coaxial Front Rest

Sebastian Lambang
Sorry Les, the dealer for the MAX is Stuart & Annie BRT.

(Dealer for the NEO has been Rob Carnell, still).

seb.

Re: SEB NEO Coaxial Front Rest

Denis Aarons
G'day Sebastian,

I thought I'd open with a true Aussi greeting.

Thanks for adding to the thread.

Do you produce F-class feet/spikes for your rests?

Cheers, Denis.

"No flys on me!...............yet".

Re: SEB NEO Coaxial Front Rest

David Dundas
Seb

We might have to find away to clone you!

The Neo rests have been comming thru like a trickly, I been waiting four months and still nothing in site. I am sure as soon as a few get seen on the firing line there will be a lot more orders even at A$1180. I shoot at a few different ranges each week and have not yet seen one up close.

Who said we are on the brink of a world wide recession???

Great to see you on the forum Seb.

Regards

Dave

I do make F-class feet on request......seb.

Re: SEB NEO Coaxial Front Rest

Sebastian Lambang
David,
I sent probably about 2 dozen NEO rests to Rob..... don't remember the exact number now.

Problem is, I can only make about 250 units a year.

I still have more than 100 people in the list.
The biggest market has been the USA, and then Europe.

Why it's "expensive"...
Because neo rest has about 100 parts (totally) in one unit.
Most of the parts are machined/ground/milled to exacting tolerances, and polished. Some of the inner parts must be within .0005 of an inch (yes, five thousandth of an inch). Only several screws are not machined.
Several friends in the US (some of them are machinists or gunsmiths) told me that if NEO is built in the US, it would cost more than $ 2,000 easily.

Just for instance...
- the coaxial unit/body.... it's has close tolerances almost like a BR standard action....made from alum alloy aircraft grade 7000 series.... a standard BR action has been more than  1K US$.
- the adjustable rest top/side plate assembly... imagine a pair of scope rings (Kelbly rings for instance)....the cheapest one has been $ 80 or so... my rest top has more much complicated detail and parts.

...Just these two parts alone would cost about (or more than) 1.5K $ if built in the USA, or in other progressive countries. I think in Australia, also.

So actually I didn't/do not make big money or profit with the rest making. It's more for a pride enjoy for me honestly...

***
I need about a hundred hours totally, for me & my machinists, to make a neo. --  If you multiply the time needed with labor cost in Australia (etc) per hour... just the labor cost alone would cost more than my rest.
If one person do all the things/parts, I can guarantee you that he would need at least two full weeks to make a rest with the similar design & in the same standard of quality as my neo....or maybe even for one full month.
This is true. You can ask any machinist or gunsmith.

........So, it's actually not really expensive mate.

That's why a long Q in the list.
That's also why people in the US able to sell his neo more than what he paid/bought from the dealer.

Then why I can make it that cheap?....it's a secret.

You will see many more in Oz in the near future, anyway.
I'm in process to raise my production rate a bit..perhaps for 300 or so units a year...hopefully it can shorten the lead time.

Cheers,
seb.

Re: SEB NEO Coaxial Front Rest

Denis Aarons
G'day again Seb,

Who do I order the F-class feet from as I am on the waiting list for Neo already?

I'm very excited about obtaining this rest and if its as good as everybody says, it should last a lifetime.  That and as you've explained the manufacturing process, I have no problem with the price.  From what I understand I personally think its cheap for what it is.

The trouble these days is with China in manufacturing.  It is very rare now to see quality products.  Across the board, the retail industry has been demanding cheap, cheap ,cheap for so long, thats about all you can get now with anything, mass produced cheap.

Again, I'm very anxious,

Cheers, Denis.
"No flys on me!...............yet".

Re: SEB NEO Coaxial Front Rest

Sebastian Lambang
Dennis, you can order the F-class feet from Rob. He doesn't have one in stock but I can send him some.

Anyway if you have a lathe, it's very easy to make.
My feet is threaded in M12 x 1.75...made from alum.
You can make it from any metal, just conical shape or with spike.

I will try to attach an exploded drawing of the NEO...
EXPLODED_DRAWING.pdf

Ok, it works.

See leg screw #8.
Current legs screw is about 5" long.

seb.

Re: SEB NEO Coaxial Front Rest

Denis Aarons
Hi Seb,

Thanks for that.  I don't have a lathe and since I'll be waiting a while for the rest I'll put an order in with Rob.

Thanks for your help

Denis.
"No flys on me!...............yet".

Re: SEB NEO Coaxial Front Rest

Sebastian Lambang
You're welcome mate....seb.

Re: SEB NEO Coaxial Front Rest

Bob Mulder
G`Day Mate i too now own a NEO have had it a couple months but only shot off it a few times in practice as it has been so wet but Oh what a difference.
The workmanship top class and it is just sooooo Smooth to operate and can be adjusted for thr weight of the rifle.
Also as John said you can shoot different rifles off it with out changing bags just open or close the side plates with bags attached from 4inch thats 100mm for you young people down to your hunting rifle. Coarse vertical adjustment heaps and you can cover an IRB target with joystick movement. Mine took about 8 months but was worth the wait.
12