Rimfire actions, Anschutz 54 or custom action?

Rimfire actions, Anschutz 54 or custom action?

Rod Davies
With the rimfire fly gaining popularity I'm sort of looking into building a rim fire fly rifle. I see I can buy 2nd hand Anschutz 54 rifles for about $1000 for the action, are there any differences in Model 54 actions? Are there any reasonably priced custom actions out there which are better than the used model 54s? What are your recommendations on an action to build a rimfire fly rifle without spending exorbitant amounts?

Re: Rimfire actions, Anschutz 54 or custom action?

Michael Bell
Administrator
G'day Rod,
Just scanning the forum...Dave Dundas might be the bloke to direct this enquiry too.
He's a very experienced rimfire man.
Belly
Michael Bell

Belly
Michael Bell

Re: Rimfire actions, Anschutz 54 or custom action?

Fred Blacker
Hi Rod.
To give you an idea, my 22 is an Anschutz 54 action, with the original Anschutz barrel. It is in I a Kelby Club stock with a lowey tuner.
There are some very good custom actions out there, but the Anschutz 54 is still very hard to beat.
Hope this helps.

Re: Rimfire actions, Anschutz 54 or custom action?

Rod Davies
Well I bit the bullet and bought an Anschutz 1907 with a tuner on it. The actions seems nice enough and I will be getting some work done on the stock to make it more suitable for benchrest.
Only issue is when I got it home and borescoped it, there is some bad rust inside the last 1" of the muzzle. It is looking like after Hilltop Fly shoot, I will be getting 1" cut off the muzzle and hope it improves things as the rest of the barrel looks good.