Rifle case\storage for travelling to the range

Rifle case\storage for travelling to the range

David Dundas
Hi All

I will be looking for a case for my new CF rifle soon and was wondering what you all use to transport to the range. Are their certain cases needed for air travel? Do you like the pick and pluck foam or do you prefer a crush fit in the case to keep everything from moving.
Of course there are some expensive bands that do the do just about everything and if I was travelling the world on a regular basis then that would be the way to go, but maybe there are some cheaper alternatives that you have found that you like.
Pls post your responses or drop me a PM if you prefer.

Thanks

Dave

Re: Rifle case\storage for travelling to the range

Cameron Starr
Hi I have a tool pro one from super cheap much cheaper then the pelican version and does the job for me. Also have a alloy crush type and I much prefer the pick and pluck case. Case

Re: Rifle case\storage for travelling to the range

David Dundas
Great Cameron,

Would never have thought of cases from Super Cheap, that is thinking outside the box. I like the pick and pluck as well and your rifle looks nice and snug in the case.
The Pelican and Storm cases are very nice, but cost a fortune and would be just collecting dust in my garage most of the time.

Thanks for posting,

Dave

Re: Rifle case\storage for travelling to the range

David Dundas
Someone must have a travel case they are happy with?

Are there special requirements for airline travel or does a locked case do the job. Maybe our shooters who travel alot (WA and QLD) can chime in here.
The Fly Nationals are on in Qld next year and some of us are going to need to Fly up there.

Cheers

Dave

Re: Rifle case\storage for travelling to the range

Panda Shooter
Hi

I have a Tool Pro one.  Great case.  If you are planning to fly I would suggest using the shortest one you can get away with as long cases are harder to handle in airports.  When I travel I remove the barreled action from the stock to reduce the overall length.  Just a suggestion for your consideration.

Cory

Re: Rifle case\storage for travelling to the range

Shane C
Another vote for the toolpro cases. Have one for my Lg and one for Hg. Also a case for my spotting scope, they are excellent. I did replace the foam in them with higher density material... Clark Rubber sells it, was about $40 a rifle case.
HEAT MIRAGE DEFINITION: When the fly wont stay still... making swatting it very difficult.

Re: Rifle case\storage for travelling to the range

David Dundas
Thanks Guys,

I will be at SuperCheap later in the week so will check them out, I must say I have never noticed cases in there so about time I walk thru a few more isles.
Any other decent cases, maybe something will wheels so you can drag it around an airport easily.

Thanks

Dave

Re: Rifle case\storage for travelling to the range

Cameron Starr
The tool pro does have wheels Dave

Re: Rifle case\storage for travelling to the range

Peter Cross
Hi Dave,

This is the case I used when we went to WA. Nothing special as long as you can lock them so the rifle cant be slipped out at one end you are fine. The other is our rimfire case.   I bought them both on ebay

I had two guns in this on the way over to Perth, You just have to check the length as our guns are long.

https://tinyurl.com/ydgad7fm

Rimfire

https://tinyurl.com/y8lomezl

Re: Rifle case\storage for travelling to the range

David Dundas
Thanks Peter\Cameron,

Wow, there are some real options out there. Way better then paying $500 for a Pelican\Storm.

Would love to go over to WA and show them how to shoot.......Ha ha.

Thanks Guys

Re: Rifle case\storage for travelling to the range

David Dundas
I was at Supercheap auto today and found the Tool Pro rifle cases, very solid feel to them which was a real surprise. The Pick and Pluck foam looks good and the case has plenty of locking points on it to keep things safe. I forgot to check out the wheels but I am sure they are fine. The price was around $210 which was a bit more then when I was googling around so maybe they go on special sometimes.
The have lots of other small cases which could be used for ammo or other range gear that you want to keep safe and secure. Now I know they are there I will keep my eye out over the next couple of months to see if the run any specials on the cases, particularly with end of financial year comming.

PS. The shop had more people in it then I have ever seen before and the Queue was 12 long!

Cheers

Dave

Re: Rifle case\storage for travelling to the range

Stuart Pethy
hey Dave
don't be afraid to spend good money on a good strong case , remember it going to be holding approx $8k of gun and scope

i use a Plano one which says its for 2 guns but it only fits 1 target rifle, you can pull the foam out in places to mold into your rifle shape

https://www.planomolding.com/hunting/gun-cases/rifle-cases/field-lockerr-mil-spec-double-long-gun-case

if i was home i could get some pics for you

i've been using my case for 5yrs now and its still good as new par a few scratches from transport on plane or car/ute

Re: Rifle case\storage for travelling to the range

stuart veal
G'day Dave, I looked at the toolpro boxes for my target rifle but unfortunately it was 20mm short for my setup so i had something specially made to suit both LG and RF guns together which gets bolted in place of my rear seat, basically it's just a real heavy duty toolbox filled with a high density solid foam cut to fit 2 upright rifles side by side and remains bolted in the car when travelling.
Supercheap do have regular specials on the toolpro range of cases and hence i have 3 of the yellow ones set up for each calibre that holds 100 rounds of  CF ammo, bolt, chamber flag and cleaning jags/brushes and obviously you can fit a lot more ammo depending on your lay out.

Re: Rifle case\storage for travelling to the range

chappo (Greg Chapman)
Just got two of the long rifle toolpro cases from supacheap on special delivered for 160 each. Arrived today. Seem very good  for the price.
"Only accurate rifles are interesting". Col Townsend Whelen

Re: Rifle case\storage for travelling to the range

David Dundas
Thanks Chappo,

Great price, thanks.
I did see they had  a special on Saturday but did not get down to my local store. I think my store only had 2 so would have gone pretty quick. I figure they will have a end of financial year special in a few weeks.

Thanks

Dave