Rear Rests & Vertical Spacers

Hi All,

I have just been asked a very relevant question by someone (Jacko) nominating for our Fly shoot in Batemans Bay and I thought it might be good to revisit this topic in here.

Sometime ago, during the discussions on rules and rule revisions we did discuss this in detail, but in a nut shell, because the Fly Shoot is covered under the SSAA benchrest rules, the rule (From the main rule book) that covers this topic says;

5.2.2 The front rest may be a block or pedestal, and may incorporate
adjustments for windage and elevation, but shall not have any guiding
means; it shall be used in conjunction with a sandbag on which to rest the
fore-end of the rifle; the section of fore-end contacting the sandbag shall
be for full width of the stock. The rear rest shall be a sandbag only, except
that a vertical spacer shall be allowed between this sandbag and the
bench-top. Such spacer shall not incorporate adjustments for windage or
elevation, nor shall it contain any protrusions which can be inserted into
the bench-top or the sandbag and the top and bottom of the spacer shall
be substantially flat. The rear sandbag shall not be contained in any
manner.

That means that for ranges that are down hill (like ours) you are allowed to use vertical spacers under the rear sand bag which may be made of anything (Timber, Plastic, Brick, Steel etc), as long as they are substantially flat, not adjustable and not attached to the sand bag or rifle.

Re: Rear Rests & Vertical Spacers

hi mate i think the rules were also discussed at the meeting in Canberra and it was voted on and the result was no adjustable rear rests allowed. The discussion would go on forever but we need to be mindful this is dealt with and we must all move on and persuit of getting this sport bigger and better each year. There is alot of interest in what we are doing as a SSAA event and i can see in years to come that fly shooting will be one of the premier precision shooting sports in Australia.

This sport is growing nearly daily there are lots of folks that email me off line and their comments are just as valued as ones on this forum. Often people have a view but don't wish to share for fear of being shouted down but on this forum i hope that i have been able to keep us free from this. I think that we should start to encourage younger shooters where we can without them the sport in years to come will decline i have seen it in large bore shooting and i don't want it to happen in this great sport. I truely admire the victorians for encouraging younger shooters to be in the top level. The Trotter boys, young Roy and many others are the future of this sport.

Were we can new shooters be the beneficiary of our knowledge and experience otherwise our skills go with us when we leave the sport.

keep pushing to help it is important and YOU can make a difference.........

Les

Re: Rear Rests & Vertical Spacers

Yeah, I agree.

This was not to reopen any rule discussions....

Just to be helpful for people going to different ranges and wondering what is allowed under the rules...  and downhill can be a challenge if you haven't shot it before to get set up, as can significantly uphill if your front rest won't go that high....

Re: Rear Rests & Vertical Spacers

john mc quire
Hi Anthony   the answer to the question is simple

               just use a SEB NEO rest
          it has heaps of vertical adjustment
        no need for any spacers at all

                cheers     john mc quire
  Every Shot inside the Eight Ring would be GREAT