Procal Canberra Fly Results

Hi All,

Welcome to normal Canberra conditions was the message !

It blew hard all day (30 mph Plus), the only saving grace was that it remained left to right wind....it was just the strength and gusts that varied.  But dust and wind aside, it was a great event.  The Australia v Texas theme really added to the atmosphere.  It is also great to promote our sport internationally.

Well done to Chappo for a great win outright with 238.04 taking Heavy gun first place, with Richard Bailey and Peter Merriman 2nd and third.  Best target (57) and small group (1.69") both went to Brett Lloyd.

Light Gun was won by Ken Perrin with 223.02, with Matt Paroz and Michael Bell 2nd & Third.  Small group (1.701) went to Brian Taylor and Best Target was Michael Bell (57.03).

Stella Cross was our highest ranked Junior with 163.01.
Full Results are here
Pro-Cal_2017_Results.xlsx
Pro-Cal_2017_Results.xls

Results for the Texas combined with Australia Match are here:
Canberra_v_Texas_Combined.pdf
Canberra_v_Texas_top_5_results.pdf

There will be plenty of stories, excuses and photos to come I am sure..... But however you slice or dice it....the YANKS BEAT US AT OUR OWN SHOOT !! - Bring on the Next one !!

Re: Procal Canberra Fly Results

Tim  Pavey
Yes they did but they weren't shooting at  Canberra. I'll bet if they had it would be s different story.
Bring on the next postal match.
Cheers
Tim

Re: Procal Canberra Fly Results

Joe Duke
I had a great time shooting this match and Richard Pullum certainly put a whipping on all of us; both Texans and Aussies.  Richard is an accomplished score shooter with a very good shooting rifle.  He has shot a number of matches at somewhat longer ranges.  He is a quick learner.

It is true we were not shooting at Canberra but it also is true that the good shooters seem to always rise to the top no matter where they are.

It seems that you Aussies had a tough day with the high winds.  Here in Texas, we had a tough day with the extreme mirage.  After the first target or two, I shot virtually every target blind as the mirage did not let you see any holes in the paper.  Indeed, most of the time it was extremely difficult to see the fly, much less bullet holes.  But, we expected to see that level of mirage, so not making excuses.  It is what it is and you shoot whatever the conditions are on match day.

I am looking forward to shooting this match again.  It is always fun to shoot against good shooters no matter if they are on the next bench or half a world away.  Hope we can keep this up and continue to make new friends.

Joe

Re: Procal Canberra Fly Results

MikeCockcroft
We had a great time shooting the "Fly" over here.  We spent the day shooting at what we think was a yellow square of paper.
About all we could see. Didn't even make it thru the four warmer targets seeing bullet holes. Winds were switchy starting at 11 and coming from 8 by end of day. We had a lot of guys shooting light and heavy. They were busy all day, takes a lot to shoot both guns in one match.
Considering we had no idea what we were doing, I feel that the crew here did a great job running the match. Larry and Beth Deese own a benchrest range that hosts sanctioned group and score matches and they volunteered to handle the target scoring and Joe Duke and Beth took care of the computer input. The target crew was exceptional and never slowed down.
Want to thank Les Fraser, Dave Groves, Anthony Hall and Michael Bell for all their help. Ya'll are lucky to have them as part of your association.
I feel that everyone at the match wants to continue Fly Shooting over here and I am being asked when the next match will be.
I also know there is a lot of talk among the shooters about building new rifles for the Fly. I am reaching out to other ranges about hosting Fly Shoots and plan to have at least four next year at Pine Valley. Should your association agree, we would like to keep the informal postal matches going next year. Perhaps each match over here could be a postal match with a different range in Australia?
Tim, just a warning, we will do nothing but get better!!! LOL.
I will attach photos to another post.
Thanks again for allowing us to shoot the Fly.
Mike

Re: Procal Canberra Fly Results

MikeCockcroft

Re: Procal Canberra Fly Results

MikeCockcroft

Re: Procal Canberra Fly Results

Tim  Pavey
Bring on the next postal guys,  the more the merrier,  would be happy to have ten postal shoots a year with Texas and any other state/ country that wants to shoot fly. Be warned it's very addictive and we get very passionate about it
Cheers
Tim