Loan gun for flyshoots

Hi all i am building a rifle for guys to loan at fly shoots, when they are between guns or waiting for builds to happen, it will be a 6.5x47L on a Barnard action with a jewel trigger and all the bells and whistles, so mates like Benty can chop and change rifles and use this one in between them. Or perhaps jugsy can just use it when he can get to a shoot without having to do any prep.
I have spoken to a few guys about it and they have there opinions and i welcome the feedback. The rifle will be loaned for a nominal fee of $100.00 this will cover the ammo and the wear on the gun.

I have  been thinking about doing this for awhile now, i really want to put as much as i can into this sport to keep shooters coming to events and competing. Originally i was going to build one for new shooters however i have moved away from this idea purely for the unknown quantity factor. However guys who are already in the sport we know most of them sometimes just don't have the funds ready for the next build or are a few months short of a cost of new barrel and fit. Hopefully this is where this rifle can come into play.

Let me know what you all think, and yes purce i do know you don't like the idea and your reasons are valid to some extent.

talk soon Les

Re: Loan gun for flyshoots

Dave Purcell
Les I dont dislike the idea as such I do however have some reservations that a few would try to abuse the privilege and it is a privilege.
The one thing I do see as a positive is that travellers for example a shooter from Brisbane or Townsville who is travelling can make it to a match without having to cart their gear so can shoot on a family holiday or a quick flight down and back.
It will also work for those like Jugsy who may not be at home due to work commitments.
I will remind you everytime you loose to a gun you own though.

Re: Loan gun for flyshoots

Hi Les, I think it is a great idea..... and very big hearted of you to want to do ot for others....

My only comment is that $100 may not be quite enought to make it worth it for you.... you will need to have at least 50 loaded rounds for a fly shoot and with match prepared brass & projectiles and the best components it will probably cost you about $75 (plus many hours) for that... then barrel wear etc ... with it being used say 5-6 times a year it will take a long time to pay for itself.... $125 per shoot might be better ?

As for getting beaten with a rifle you own..... not a problem there... 1/2 of the match is won in the reloading & load development...... if the rifle wins... it will be your reloading skills on display...The shooter only gets half the glory....

.... I can see plenty of takers for this type of offer... I say bring it on and at least at Batemans Bay there would always be a someone willing to pay and use it if you offer.... Great way to encourage more people to invest in gear and get into the sport.

Re: Loan gun for flyshoots

Dave Purcell
Mate you obviously havent watched him reloading ......LOL

Re: Loan gun for flyshoots

thanks guys i will have the gun ready for Batemans bay so all will be good, just trying to sort a stock for it as for the rest the action will be barrelled next two weeks the trigger is already on the action i have the mounts so all going to plan. As time and money permits i might make two of these guns available.

anthony i take on board what you said about the cost and if the rest of the guys on here think this is a fair price then $125.00 it will be. This rifle will shoot and i will not let it out until it does, i plan on using 130gn Berger VLD pills to start and see what happens if they shoot good if not it will be the 123 Lapua's.

Thanks for the vote of confidence in the reloading Purce everything i learnt i learnt from you MASTER!!!!!!

All the very best guys and gals

Re: Loan gun for flyshoots

Dave Purcell
Its not just your reloading mate, I have never seen anyone jag so many good scores. It amazes me how some folks(read you) can get a bad wind call to blow an ordinary shot into a group.
Just a question why 6.5x47L wouldnt it make more sense to go with a calibre you have dies for already.

Re: Loan gun for flyshoots

Pete van Meurs
Very generous of you Les - hope the scheme does not get abused. I have often loaned one of our rifles to other shooters but on a one-on-one basis not a public offer such as yours. Remember last November when young Roy Gow won the Nesika Cup with one of my Dashers, beating me into second place! Never mind, that's how it goes sometimes.

Re: Loan gun for flyshoots

The loan gun is well on the way the action is done now a barrel and stock it will be a great shooter>>>>>
Les

Re: Loan gun for flyshoots ready for January

hi fellow fly shooters the loan guns are all but done only a stock for the centre fire left to get. To loan the rifle will be $125.00 for the centre fire and $75.00 for the .22 both complete with ammo rests and bags.

This is how it will work a week out from the shoot the person wanting the gun will deposit the amount into my account if for some reason they cannot make it i will refund the money. If in the case of the centrefire i will keep the cost of the ammo. If however a second person takes the rifle then i will refund it all.

In the case of the .22 all will be refunded if the shooters pulls out.

I will take the primary person and a second person name for each shoot.

Any thought on this flyshooters.

Both guns are full custom rifles and will shoot
cheers Les

Re: Loan gun for flyshoots ready for January

Alan Esler
A very, very interesting  (and generous ) idea Les. Apart from the obvious benefits to new shooters, once the pet loads are sorted and some benchmark groups shot, perhaps by yourself or others of equal ilk, it will be of great benefit to some more experienced shooters who just aren't getting the results they expect, to once and for all see if it's the gun or the technique that is holding them back. Lot's of plus's here. An absolutely great idea.
Regards ,
Alan

Re: Loan gun for flyshoots

Sebastian Lambang
I've never seen/heard about this kind of gesture, except in this forum. Two thumbs up Les!!!
Not many people like him/you in this world...to build a rifle that is specialized for loan ($125? that's more than fair mate!) and he/you even guarantee that the rifle & ammo combination will shoot, too!  Even a cave man like me know that is NOT a profit oriented project! it probably even never cover the cost of the barrel's/rifle's wear!?
Again Les, you are a GREAT man and a great asset to the sport!
If someday happen I loan the gun from you, I don't/wouldn't mind even you charge me twice than that!

seb.

Re: Loan gun for flyshoots

john mc quire
Hi Les   how does the new loan light gun shoot  ???
            have you worked up a load for it yet
         are you going to have it available for Canberra in march
          do you have anyone lined up to hire it
            hope you don't get flogged with your own gun
        it has happened many times before   -- just ask a few people  --
              catch up with you at the canberra shoot
                    cheers
                           john mc quire
  Every Shot inside the Eight Ring would be GREAT

Re: Loan gun for flyshoots

Hi john the new loan gun is two weeks away from being ready i have all but a scope for it will get that sorted as soon as the rifle is in my hands, Stuart Elliot has contributed to the project on behalf of BRT by supplying projectiles for the rifle so thanks to BRT for that. Keith Hills has done the gunsmithing for free and donated the first Barrel so thanks to KHGS fantastic contribution.

The load will be with 130 Bergers and Lapua cases, i will make sure this rifle is a tack holer.

I will keep you all posted
cheers Les

Re: Loan gun for flyshoots

Hi shooters the loan gun has been taken up for the Batemans Bay shoot so we will see how it goes hopefully very well for the lucky shooter. it is a nice outfit and hopefully the driver can get the best out of it.

Anyway good shooting to all
cheers Les