How "NOT" to point bullets !! - an Article by Michael Bell

How "NOT" to point bullets !! - an Article by Michael Bell

Peter Cross
Another informative read Belle,  good stuff as usual. Your articles are always worth the time to peruse. I have read a fair bit on the 30Br as I have a couple of 308 barrels for our Savage (or is that SavageS as we might have two after Santa comes :D) and was looking for something a little different to chamber one of them in to play around with.  The 30Brx sounds like fun. What twist rate is yours, from what I have read 1in 15-18 seems like the go, a 1in13 would be too fast for the light projectiles I take it.

Have a good Xmas and New year.  I hope we will see you in February in the Bay.

ps: and congratulations to you and Pete for winning shooter of the year

Re: How "NOT" to point bullets !! - an Article by Michael Bell

Michael Bell
Administrator
Good on you Pete,
Umm, not sure if a 1 in 13 is too fast or not as I've had no experience shooting light 30 cals out of such a barrel.

My 30 Brx is a 1 in 17 twist specifically for the 110 - 120 grain projectiles & I've been using Copperhead 118's almost exclusively.

Maybe your barrel would be more suited to the 130+ grain pills.....one things for sure, the lighter projectiles wouldn't be "under spun"!

There's a lot of internet chat about 1 in 15 twist WSM's shooting 110 A-Max's so maybe a 125 grain projectile would go ok in your 1 in 13 !?

Might also be interesting to see how a 150 grain ( which is certainly suited to a 1 in 13 ) might go out of a 30 Brx. Might be a tad slow but my "donkey" has no trouble running the 118's up to 3240 fps with good accuracy...who knows what would happen!

The attractive thing about the 30 Br's to me is the barrel life..5000 - 6000 accurate rounds can give you a lot of trigger time & flag reading practise!

I'll see you at the Bay

Belly
Michael Bell

Re: How "NOT" to point bullets !! - an Article by Michael Bell

Ken Melgaard
G’day All
What’s this Belly stuffing up perfectly good Bullets, as l go to a lot of trouble trying to make you great Bullets

I would have no problems using a 1:13 twist barrel, and l think Paul Deehan used a 1:14 twist barrel in a 30 BR, and l use to load for a friend 125 grain Speer TNT Bullets in a 308 Winchester (1:12 twist barely) with a case full of BM-2 and he shot a lot of pigs and skippy out to 300 yards with very good accuracy, so just make sure your chamber reamer has zero
Good shooting to all FlyShooters in 2018 keep them small
Ken @ Copperhead Bullets

Re: How "NOT" to point bullets !! - an Article by Michael Bell

Rod Davies
You don't even have to push them down far enough to cause them to bulge that far to cause serious accuracy issues.  A while back a friend had a 6BR really humming and had shot 3x 60s in a row at 900yds in F class, but next time he took it out, it was shooting all over the place. We borescoped the barrel and tried to work out the problem and eventually traced it back to over pointed bullets. (103gn Copperheads). When he went back to very slightly pointed pills, it was great again. I kept the rest of his over pointed bullets as foulers.   They don't measure any wider than unpointed bullets but it is likely that the jacket had  separated from the cores due to way too much force on the pointing insert.
  Since then, a few others who have pointed other bullets to a very fine point have all of a sudden lost their accuracy in a major way. I still point bullets but always under point as apposed to over point them.

Re: How "NOT" to point bullets !! - an Article by Michael Bell

Stuart Pethy
nice read there belly , something to watch for when i start pointing one day haha