Hall of Fame for fly

Hi shooters as we now have a National Event and the flyshooting discipline is going so well and growing each event  I am preposing that we introduce a Hall of Fame to recognise those shooters who perform to the highest level in the sport at National Events.

Points for the event would only be awarded at the National match and also only be awarded for first place getters in each category eg for light gun and for heavy gun.

For someone to enter into the Hall of Fame that shooter would need to have performed well over a number of classes and events to gain enough points to enter the Hall of Fame.

What are your thoughts on this topic. Also consider how many points needed to accumulate to enter the HOF.
cheers Les

Re: Hall of Fame for fly

Hi Les,

I think a Hall Of Fame is a great idea, and one that should be given careful thought, discussion and input from the people who have been shooting Fly for a lot of years.

Would it be an SSAA sanctioned Hall Of Fame ?  If so I would imagine that there would be an appropriate procedure to get it presented and approved by the benchrest committee.

Re: Hall of Fame for fly

David Dundas
Hi Les

Could you tell me is there is a national Fly event for Rimfires or is one proposed?

Thanks

David Dundas

Re: Hall of Fame for fly

Pete van Meurs
Banned User
Hi David,

I will save Les the job in answering your question. The R/F Fly Nationals are (just as the C/F) ACT's option for 5 years starting 2011. ACT has declined in both 2011 and 2012 and will possibly do the same in forth-coming years. I really do not know if another host can be appointed in 2012 - you would have to seek direction from the discipline chairman (Alex Chryss). Similarly, should you (third person plural) wish to host in future years you should direct your interest to your state delegates. So the bottom line is that rimfire Fly shooters will have to do the hard yards to get a Nationals up and running themselves. I can tell you this much - and that is, whenever Victoria gets the go-ahead to host a Nationals it is probable that we will not be able to include Rimfire as we have very limited interest in our own state and would need a significant show of interest from NSW in particular to achieve the minimum entry level (15 I think).
As all this is off-topic perhaps a new thread is called for on this subject.

Pete

Re: Hall of Fame for fly

Pete van Meurs
Banned User
Hi Les and all readers,

The subject of a 'Fly' Hall of Fame' has been in my mind for some time. The biggest problem I had with it was that it would have been nice to have taken into account all achievements since the inception of the event but that would hardly be acceptable to the benchrest committee. As with other aspects of SSAA benchrest shooting it will have to begin from the time of the event becoming a recognised SSAA sanctioned event and points may only be awarded for results at the annnual National Championships, the very first ever of same having been conducted in Canberra back in March this year.

Benchrest HOF started with the 'group' events and rewarded yardage wins (1 point) and aggregate wins (2points) as well as the 'Four Gun' (3,2,1 points for 1st, 2nd & 3rd). The 'entry' level is 10 points. Obviously, if a shooter had a really good Nationals (4 classes) he/she could amass enough points to get 'in' from one year's Nationals. It has not happened to my knowledge but there have been instances of a shooter picking up 4 or more points in one year.

Where is all this leading? Simple - the points allocation for 'Fly' needs to allow a shooter to get into the 'HOF' in a reasonable time-frame while staying with the established 10 point requirement. Imagine 1 point for a win for a 'single class' shooter - it would need ten years of straight wins. Or a dual-class shooter 5 years of un-beaten dominance in both classes.

My suggestion, for what it's worth, is to allocate points as below -

Class win   2pts,   Class 2nd   1pt.   Two-Gun - 1st 3pts, 2nd 2pts, 3rd 1pt.

Yep, it's possible to get 7 points in a single year but that is still three short!

Interested to hear other's views (and I am neutral as I am a 'Has-Been")

Pete

Re: Hall of Fame for fly

john mc quire
Hello Peter   I like the idea of a hall of fame for fly shooters
                   and can see your reasoning  on how to award points to the best shooters at a national shoot
             but seeing that the fly shoot is made up of two components  --- score and group  --
                why not give points for the highest scoring target shot  and the smallest group shot  at  a meeting
             these added to points for heavy and light gun wins  would help to get the required 10 points
                  before some shooters drop off the perch
            like you i would like to hear what other  fly shooters have to say
                       cheers      john mc quire
  Every Shot inside the Eight Ring would be GREAT

Re: Hall of Fame for fly

hi pete i think that you are exactly right there needs to be a time frame that is achievable. I agree with john to in that we have group score and agg wins in both light and heavy gun class. This may see shooters begin to shoot to classes to mass points for HOF.

As for your has been comment No pete you are not a has been nor will you ever be you stuart elliot,  max and many others have alot to be proud of in your achievements. I doubt there will ever be a day that you won't give your best and if i ever see that day it will be a sad day for the sport of fly shooting.....

cheers Les

Re: Hall of Fame for fly

john mc quire
    Hello Les
                       Has there been any more said about the Fly Hall of Fame
                   the thread on this forum has gone quiet
                       can a meeting be called to try and get the Fly Shooters ideas on this matter
                   Batemans Bay is the next big Shoot and it has a high number of nominations
                how would a Poll  --- listing the options that have been put forward on how to
                award points to the hall of fame  --  be usefull
                    then what would have to be done next
                this idea of a Hall of Fame  is too good to be forgotten about
                       what can we do  to make sure it happens
                                     john mc quire
  Every Shot inside the Eight Ring would be GREAT

Re: Hall of Fame for fly

Yeh you are right John I think that the bay will yield some excellent opportunity to discus this topic let's put it out there and have this meeting and move it forward.
Les