Getting Started - Club/Range Gun?

Aaron Raadschelders
Do any of the clubs or ranges have a club gun for shooters that are interested in giving 500m Fly a go?

Just thinking along the lines of how the full-bore shooting clubs assist new members in getting started.

Are there 500m shooters that can be contacted who can loan a gun, some rounds, a rest and a bit of guidance?

Food for thought anyway.
Be careful what you aim for, you might just hit it! Antipodean Industrial - www.antipodeanindustrial.com.au - Home of the G7L projectiles.

Re: Getting Started - Club/Range Gun?

Hi Aaron
I have built a loan rifle set up for the fly about two years ago now, it has been used twice now which is disappointing to say the least.

The  loan rifle is lent with 50 match prepped rounds, rest, rear bag etc just turn up and shoot. I was hoping that this rifle would be well used it hasn't been and holding a 4k rifle in the safe for a rainy day just doesn't seem practical anymore.

There were a number of shooters who said I was mad for doing it but as I have a passion for this sport I built the rifle anyway and some people donated to the project, Keith Hills from Cowra did the smithing and donated the barrel, Stuart Elliot provided the Berger projectiles at no charge so they also contributed in the hope of bringing more shooters into the sport. I have also let a young shooter shoot my match rifle at Batemans bay and the young bloke had a blast and won lots over the weekend which I strongly believe is capacity building in this sport.

Fly shooting is a sport where you can sit up hours on end and fine tune your reloading technique or just load them out of the box as Pete Van muers would say. Pete shoots extremely well and has won lots of matches and personal goals.

But there is always going to be those shooters looking for the edge over their competitors that is why the fly at every match is a complete package of skill, ability, accuracy, throw caution to the wind make that big wind change try the hand of fate you just never know you may come away with a win............

Les

Re: Getting Started - Club/Range Gun?

Aaron Raadschelders
I recall reading about 12months ago that there was a loan rifle about, but could not put my finger on the website again.

It certainly is an admirable effort you've made and I'm glad to see others contributed. $4k is a lot of investment.

In terms of getting started, my main reluctance so far is that it usually means rolling up to a full competition event. So to me that includes any type of BR shooting. I know the guys are just like me, but BR does come across as a bit 'elitest' with shooters a bit more highly strung than others. I don't mind collecting the wooden spoon, but the last thing I want to do is turn up and distract a bunch of guys/gals with a lot of time and money invested in 60 or so shots. A bit like rocking up to the first day of a fullbore State Queens event and looking to get started in fullbore; or Bathurst and looking to get started in motor sport if you know what I mean. Are there organised practice days between or before events that would be a little more appropriate for beginners or window shoppers?
Be careful what you aim for, you might just hit it! Antipodean Industrial - www.antipodeanindustrial.com.au - Home of the G7L projectiles.

Re: Getting Started - Club/Range Gun?

Hi Aaron
Yeh Batemans Bay hold the fox shoot and some club fly events if you contact Anthony Hall on here he will only be to happy to assist you. But don't feel that you can't ask questions on the day of matches, by all means come and talk to me or anyone else in the fly shooting fraternity as we go to matches pre loaded unlike short range where they are busy all day. I think the perception of short range as a bit different in terms of friendliness is due to them having to load, shoot , load shoot etc all day they don't get a break so i think they are just pre occupied.

However with the Fly everyone comes pre loaded and after your detail you may have three other details before you next match so there is time to talk etc.

In any case just chat to us on the range i am certain everyone will be helpful.....
Les

Re: Getting Started - Club/Range Gun?

Aaron Raadschelders
Thanks Les!

I'm in Bris Vagas myself, so the Madden range is the the go.

Did you have any preconceptions before starting 500m Fly that you found weren't warranted?

Cheers
Aaron
Be careful what you aim for, you might just hit it! Antipodean Industrial - www.antipodeanindustrial.com.au - Home of the G7L projectiles.

Re: Getting Started - Club/Range Gun?

g'day Aaron
thats ok you are in Brisbane Pete Varley shoots 1st Tuesday of the month and i am sure if you talked to him he would be happy to help out. No preconceptions about the fly it was everything that i had hoped very hard match and you never know the winner till the last target is shot.

talk soon Les

Re: Getting Started - Club/Range Gun?

steve eades
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Getting Started - Club/Range Gun?

hi Steve it is a 6.5x47Lapua nice rifle to shoot with a thumbhole stock.
cheers Les

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Getting Started - Club/Range Gun?

Hi Steve the fee is $125 and this covers match rounds 50 plus rest and rear bag.
cheers Les