Forum posts

Hi fellow shooters please encourage as many shooters to participate in the forum discussions. Without contributions the forum may stop or be seen as less effective. With each new posts comes further discussions and therefor renewed interest in what this great sport is about.

Please bring fruitful discussion to the forum and encourage others.........

Good shooting

see you all at Little River
Les

Re: Forum posts

john mc quire
Hi Les    this may be the right time to ask
             how many heavy guns will be used this year  -- all around the country
          not just in the SOTY  shoots
              if you have a heavy fly gun  -- let the forum know  --
                  a list of details about the gun would be great to know

              my Heavy Gun     is      6.5 x 47 Lapua
                                                 Pac-Nor  1.312 "  straight barrel
                                               Lawton 7500  action   with Jewel trigger
                                             45 x 45  Leupold  scope
                                         laminated Rose Wood  Stock     self made
                                                     15 kg  in weight
                 what are you shooting  ??
                              cheers   john mc quire
  Every Shot inside the Eight Ring would be GREAT

Re: Forum posts

Good question i have two heavy guns at present the first one is a 300WSM Python Action, Maddco 1:10 twist, Jewel Mounts, Nightforce 12X42 Scope with a Mcmillan HBR stock .

The New rifle that Shane built is a BAT 10" with a Stretcher tubed 1.4 " barrel parallel Kelby rings 12X42 night force scope Mcmillan HBR stock 1:10 barrel Jewel trigger. Cal 300 Ackley based on a 375 H&H case, it is a shooter i think but at present it has only fired 85 rounds so i won't get a full picture of its ability to group until all the cases are fire formed properly and shoot tight.

this is a good idea John and hope others contribute as well

cheers Les

Re: Forum posts

paul read
I would still like to post you the photo of Wagga If you post me your email ,Regards Paul Chopper Read, aussie.riflestocks@bigpond.com .

Re: Forum posts

john mc quire
Hi Les  I am in the same boat at the moment
               and will be fireforming my shells while shooting the fly in Townsville
            at the moment have only fired about 25 rounds   -- not enough for a full match
         my shells usually take two shots to form completely
               and then i try to find the right load for the fly
         catch up with you at Batemans Bay
            cheers   john mc quire
  Every Shot inside the Eight Ring would be GREAT

Re: Forum posts

Michael Bell
Administrator
Hi Les & John,
As a shooter who has only shot in one category ( light ) but who intends to have a heavy gun built I am very interested in this thread. Not only to understand what calibers are being used but hopefully to get some idea of the thoughts of those who have " heavies " and who might have done something differently if they did it again.
It looks like I'm committed to a 6.5-.284, mainly to use an existing stock - action that was previously a light rifle. My thinking is I could add weight to the stock and bring it up to about 23 - 24 pounds ( hopefully )  which should make the  relatively moderate recoil of this calibre easy enough to handle from the bench! The action which is an old DGA Shilen should also handle a slightly heavier barrel
Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?
Michael Bell
Michael Bell

Re: Forum posts

Dave Purcell
Michael,

Having shot HG for a fair while now I would be happy to discuss some issues and pass some info.
Give me a call if you like  0421 804 711

Re: Forum posts

john mc quire
Hello Michael    I am just new to heavy gun myself
                          have only just returned from the shoot at townsville  about an hour ago
                  i shot in both classes  -- light and heavy --  heavy for the first time ever
                    and i can tell you that the difference is like chalk and cheese
                 the heavy gun is so much easier to shoot than the light
                    should have done it long ago   ---  i just took a year or so to build up a new gun
                but it was worth it   ---
                      dont  wait   -- start collecting all the bits you need -- and get it put togeather
              you wont believe just how good they are to shoot
                     i  can watch my bullets all the way to the target  --  about the recoil of a rimfire
                        catch up with you at Batemans Bay
                                john mc
  Every Shot inside the Eight Ring would be GREAT

Re: Forum posts

Michael Bell
Administrator
Good on you John, that motivates me to move  on this project.
Dave,.. expect a call & I'll be in your ear @ Batemans Bay come June.
Regards,
Michael
Michael Bell

Re: Forum posts

Pete van Meurs
Mike,  A suggestion if I may. If you weight up the Shilen for HG keeping it under 10kgm will see it eligible for Open 'F' class on the full-bore ranges should you ever wish to join the 'belly-floppers'. This is what I have done myself and Lee-Anne with a couple of our rifles.  Pete

Re: Forum posts

Michael Bell
Administrator
That's a very good idea Pete...I hadn't thought of that...it's likely it'll be a job getting it much heavier than that anyway ( without adding metal runners etc underneath) and so for the sake of a tiny bit of weight the versatility gained by keeping it under 22 lbs might be worth it.
Regards and thanks for a great show on the weekend.
Michael.

ps  For anyone who hasn't made the trip to Little River I can tell you it's visually, very, very impressive. (even though the weather can sometimes be a little ......well.....Victorian).
Michael Bell