Fly Shooting...what a sport!!!

Deane Thrower
I shot at Batemans Bay yesturday and have to say i am still in shock with what a seen. Les and Anthony lifted the bar to unthought of heights, were the conditions good...yes but there was still alot of vertical due to the conditions. I think what it came down to was the consistancy they both had throughout the day and hard work put in weeks before in prep.

Results aside i cannot put into words the feeling i had when i left batemans bay yesturday. I have never been involved in a sport where everyone gets along and has a great time ALL day. I had Les,Dave P and Anthony give me advice which has cost them years of time and money to learn and i walked away more educated and with a burning desire to come back.

In my opinion the atmosphere, generosity and plain old mateship is what makes Fly shooting something to behold. To those who have pondered the idea of turning up and having a go but have held off as they dont know anyone or are afraid they dont have the gear or skill the have fun, trust me with the guys that are involved you will never be short on someone willing to help.

Thanks to everyone for a great day and particularly Les, Dave and Anthony for the priceless info and laughs, i wait anxiously for the next shoot to catch up with you all again.

Regards,

Deane
Just doing my part to reduce the fly population!!!!

Re: Fly Shooting...what a sport!!!

Hi Dean,

Thank you, and I am really glad you had a great time.....  That is exactly what Fly shooting is about.

There is everything from the serious side of competition, sledging and talking shit and enjoying a laugh together come what may....  We all work hard, so it is great to get out and play hard and have some fun..

We look forward to seeing you at  the next shoot.

Re: Fly Shooting...what a sport!!!

Hi Deane glad you had such a great time, fly shooting is a great sport with lots of fun and lots of new friends to make. I take fly shooting for what it is hard and business like when you are behind the rifle shooting but taking the time to encourage others during the shoot. I often keep a few rounds back from the sighter target if i can so if you are at a shoot you are welcome to try them.

As for information on how to shoot you will get opinions and differing information from lots of people for your own personal style taking in as much as you can and try them out and what works for you is what you keep.

Hope to see you at a shoot real soon
cheers Les

Re: Fly Shooting...what a sport!!!

Dave Purcell
Hey Deane,

Glad you had a good day. It certainly was a memorable one as far as the shooting went. As Les said listen to everything you will soon sort the diamonds from the coal as far as advice goes.
Best advice I have for anyone is get to matches, trigger time is everything. When your not shooting instead of scratching your bum sit and observe someone you think you can learn from watch what they do and how they do it.

Re: Fly Shooting...what a sport!!!

Denis Aarons
Hi guys,

Im a new member and haven't shot Fly yet but I can't wait to get started.  Hopefully not too far away.  Thanks for the post Deane, it makes me even more eager to meet you guys and join your sport that I keep hearing so many great things about.

Cheers, hope to see you guys soon.

Denis.
"No flys on me!...............yet".

Re: Fly Shooting...what a sport!!!

Deane Thrower
Dennis,

All you are hearing and reading is exactly what fly shooting is. In many ways it is a community of like minded individuals with a common interest competing in the ultimate form of rifle accuracy. There is no better feeling hitting your first fly and getting your first patch. I look forward to meeting you at a fly shoot and chewing the fat. Don't hesitate to ask questions or just walk up and introduce yourself as it is a great day and a great bunch o people.

Regards,

Deane
Just doing my part to reduce the fly population!!!!

Re: Fly Shooting...what a sport!!!

Dave Purcell
Denis,

Not sure were your from but you are more than welcome to come along to Batemans Bays and have a go at a Fly or even a Fox shoot

Re: Fly Shooting...what a sport!!!

Denis Aarons
I'd love to Dave but I live on the Sunshine Coast QLD and for the remainder of this year travelling interstate is out.  I'm certainlky looking forward to some travelling and shooting in the New Year................damn thats close.
"No flys on me!...............yet".