Fly Shooting in Mackay

john mc quire
   Hi All   I would just like to let you know that SSAA Mackay  Q17   has just held its first 500m fly shoot   --  it was a very hot  day with heaps of mirage  with moments of alternating cross winds  just to make it interesting    --  as this was out first  attempt to shoot the Fly in Mackay  we had  to extend the warmer target time  to get our new shooters onto paper
      the scores were not too grand   but  every one is keen to do better at our next months shoot
             we will be shooting on the first Saturday morning of the month  starting at 8:00am    and any shooting visitors to our area are more than welcome to come and join us    --  we have a 16 bench target line  --
                     cheers    john mc
  Every Shot inside the Eight Ring would be GREAT

Re: Fly Shooting in Mackay

Tim  Pavey
Hi John,
congratulations on running your first fly up there.
how about posting some pictures of the range and shooters at the match
cheers
Tim

Re: Fly Shooting in Mackay

john mc quire
Hello  Tim   I will take some photos of the range and our shooters at the next months shoot   -- I was very busy at our first shoot  just making sure that every thing went to plan  --  and forgot to take my camera with me to the range  --  it was a great day  which ended up having an interview with our local channel 7  film crew
           our weather up here at the moment is not very kind to 500m shooters   -- the mirage on the red and yellow fly target  has to be seen  to be believed   --  we did not see bullet holes all day   --
              I will keep you informed on our progress
                          John  mc
  Every Shot inside the Eight Ring would be GREAT

Re: Fly Shooting in Mackay

Michael Bell
Administrator
Good on you Johno,
Great news indeed...How many shooters lined up for your inaugural event?

With monthly matches at Brisbane & now at Mackay it's likely us southerners will need to lift our game to be competitive!!

Regards,
Belly
Michael Bell

Re: Fly Shooting in Mackay

john mc quire
Hello Michael    we had 15 shooters try out their rifles  at our first attempt to shoot the 500m Fly   --  not all completed the match  -- due to various reasons  -- but every one had a great time    ---  our weather with its intense mirage was a big factor  --  it was just about too hot to be out at the range having a shot
                       we still have to do a bit more gardening and grass control on our new range  - but I am sure that with the help of the big red steer we will have a better look at the targets next time
                    our scores for the inaugural shoot were not too grand  but a couple of flies were hit and a couple of competitive  groups  also were shot  -  so its been established that our range might end up being a high scoring range when the winter months approach    -- we will just have to wait and see
                   I will be bringing a couple of Mackay shooters down to the Canberra shoot in march   and they will be helped by the fact that they can now practise at 500m  and work on their loads for that range   --  we have not had a chance to do that before
                 looking forward to catch up with every one again
                                     john mc
  Every Shot inside the Eight Ring would be GREAT

Re: Fly Shooting in Mackay

Bob Mulder
G`Day All haven`t been on for some time and like John said we haven`t had a 500m range to practice on but now we do. And yes i won both the shoots here but not with high score tho they were over 200 and some FLY. This last shoot the others were coming up fast and are keen they are planning to go out during the week to tune and practice so i better get my bum into gear. And i don`t think John remembered to take pics again. Take a pic of my E card John and put it up or is it out the range. See you all in Canberra when is the nominations opening

Re: Fly Shooting in Mackay

john mc quire
Hi Bob    I do not have your target to take a photo of it   --  could still be at the range   -- I forgot to take my camera out last Saturday  it was on charge from the night before   --  now that you have had all that practice you should shoot well at Canberra
  Every Shot inside the Eight Ring would be GREAT

Re: Fly Shooting in Mackay

john mc quire
Hello  all Fly Shooters     we will be having our first ever 200 yd  rim-fire  Fly Match  in Mackay  on the 31/03/18   you are welcome to come out and try to hit a Fly   --  also  we will have a few rifles  that have been set up to shoot 200 yards  that you can use  -- all you need is a box of Eley ammo   ( the rifles are set up to shoot Eley  )   it will be a 5 target match with the usual warmer to get you on target   -- shooting starts at 8:00 am
                          see you there      john mc
  Every Shot inside the Eight Ring would be GREAT

Re: Fly Shooting in Mackay

john mc quire
Hello again from Mackay      well we did manage to hold our first 200yd  rim-fire fly shoot  on the weekend   -- but  the weather  won on the day   --  and only a few shooters ventured out in the rain  --   those who shot the match  did very well in the soggy wet conditions    -- and it was quite hard to score very wet targets  --  but  our top score of 257.5  was shot by Chris   and a top scoring target  of 57.1   with a group of 1.5"  was shot by Clare   and it was the first time she had ever shot my T-Bolt  Browning rifle      at total of 12 Flies wee hit during the morning    and those who attended  all want to return to shoot again     --  we hope to run the next  200yd  fly  in July    weather permitting
                       I hope that every one had a great Easter
                                  John mc
  Every Shot inside the Eight Ring would be GREAT

Re: Fly Shooting in Mackay

Vince V
correct !!!
Southeners ,,,, be on your game!

Re: Fly Shooting in Mackay

Vince V
Well Done John !!!

Re: Fly Shooting in Mackay

john mc quire
   thanks for that Vince    we plan to hold  4 200yd  rim-fire shoots every year  and 8  500m shoots also   -- but as you know the weather can disrupt  a shoot at any time of the year    -- as we get into the better part of our year  our shooter numbers should get better    -- but at the moment our range is still very wet and boggy
                       I will keep you informed how  our  shooters improve  as the weather gets better in winter
                  a few of our members have started to build  500m fly guns    -- should be interesting  when they are finished
                           regards     john mc
  Every Shot inside the Eight Ring would be GREAT