Definition of a trigger guard?

John 23 Harris
This post was updated on .

Definition of a trigger guard ?

Is there anything in the Ssaa fly and benchrest rule book that defies what a suitable trigger guard is ?

This stock is going to be full glue in my trigger needs to be removable from the underside and also adjustable externally hence the large slot where the trigger guard normally is.

Before I get to the end of the project and spent the money on paint ect  I would like to confirm that it is satisfactory and won’t get knocked back on the range.

Thanks in advance !

Re: Definition of a trigger guard?

David Dundas
Hi John

To my knowledege the Fly rules re taken from the Benchrest rules and in it says you must have a trigger guard, its about safety of course. To me that trigger guard looks boarder line, at first glance you think no way but I have a FWB (Feinwerkbau) which has a very similar trigger. Check the FWB rifle in link below.

http://www.brenzovich.com/

Your Trigger is just not very pretty, so probably should be banned for being ugly, Ha Ha.

Cheers

Dave

Re: Definition of a trigger guard?

Hi Mate,

That trigger guard looks perfectly fine to me, it would protect the trigger from accidental discharge if the rifle were dropped so I see no reason it would not be allowed.

I would check the NSW Firearm legislation for trigger and trigger guard requirements and if it meets that, you should be fine.

Re: Definition of a trigger guard?

John 23 Harris
Thanks for the feed back everyone.

With the licensing issues I have had over the last year or so due to another family member I have no intention of asking the Nsw firearms / police or trying to interpret their legislation.

Every letter I have had is so open to interpretation and when I have called to ask for explanation and definitions the person at the other end of the line has stuttered and danced around the questions asked .

So long story short I will not be wasting my time calling them and discussing the matter .

I value the opinion of the people in my community and those who will be scrutineering the rifle .

Dave .... I respect your opinion on my trigger shoe .
I am yet to make a more desirable looking replacement.

I wish I could do the same for your face !!

Anthony thanks for your input .

Inletting is getting dangerously close to being finished after tonight’s quick sesh in the shed .

I am getting a little excited about the project again .
It has been on the back burner for a good 6 months .

Once it is finished I can book in the test tunnel and try some ammo to see what works .

I am shooting what I got at the moment and believe the rifle might have a little more left in it .

The ugly old FWB should look pretty fresh when it’s complete

Re: Definition of a trigger guard?

David Dundas
Thanks John

The FWB's like RWS, in particular R50 but its very hard to get at present. Should be a new delivery to Aus in August, keep an eye out for the R50 Short Chamber which has now been re-boxed and looks almost identical to regular R50 - Will show you some at Batemans Bay.

Cheers

Dave