Custom Stock Makers ?

Hi,

I am looking for a stock for a benchrest .22lr build and wonder what the options here in australia are ?
 I want to build a .22lr for both BR30 and 200 FLY.

Ideally the finished rifle it will weigh between 10-11lb complete with scope, noodle and tuner.... so as not to incur a % penalty in BR30.  It will be a Falcon action and Shillen 0.85" match barrel.  The stock must be light enough, but  also delivery stable performance on the bench with a 3" forend and a larger than typical butt (due to our range being down hill) with an almost flat, straight line butt to track straight on the bag.

I like the look of the Don Stith stocks from the states ( http://www.donstith.com/benchrest_stocks.html ) but then I would have to get it finished here anyway....  I like the fact that he uses various solid woods to save weight as well as a laminate option.  I have also considered a mcmillan style fiberglass stock, but if possible would prefer the look and feel of a highly polished timber stock.....

What have others used ?  Who are the best custom stock makers here in Australia ? Do you have any other suggestions ?

Re: Custom Stock Makers ?

Hi Mate there are alot of stock makers Ken Noye in Victoria who made the loan rifle stock out of laminate and it is a really nice job, Phil Mastin in Queensland, Bill Heald in Parkes NSW, i know there is alot of stocks out there to choose from the Microfits that Dave Purcell arranged (like the .260AI Stolle) that is a nice stock too.

If you want i can get you the numbers of the stock makers above.

I have Mcmillan stock on my swindlehurst and love the shape and feel of it, i also have wooden stocks, alloy stocks etc one with a .22 i think use your imagination and shoot any of these types of stocks at your shoot. I am sure there will be any number of configurations to try.

I am just about to put a Hall rifle complete on the for sale section and it has a great stock also but may not suit everyone.

I think with .22 it is what style of shooting are you going for, free recoil or pin or a little different than these.

The quipment list is impressive and i am sure it will shoot, I think Purce put Rimfire shooting in the same class as hitting your head with a brick however i like it and i am in the process of sorting it out to compete in registered competitions.

looking forward to hearing of your progress.

PS don't forget Anshutz and Walther either their stocks are first class with lots of adjustments to cope with shooting down hill.

cheers Les

Re: Custom Stock Makers ?

john mc quire
      Hello Anthony       why don't you try a D I Y  stock
                                   buy a blank of the right material and size
                            then knock it into the shape you think you want
                       then a trip to the panel and paint shop   --  i know the boys would just like to help  --
                       and in a week or two  you have a stock to try out
                              EASY   --  and  FAST
                        john mc quire
  Every Shot inside the Eight Ring would be GREAT

Re: Custom Stock Makers ?

David Dundas
Hi Anthony

From reading your post I think you have two very different needs, one light rifle for BR30 at around 10 lbs and another at 16-17 lbs for the Fly. A lot of the new actions (Anschutz, FWB and Blieker) coming out of Europe are heavy and easily exceed 14lbs when put into a stock and scoped.
The way the rimfire Fly is going at our club then you need a custom action, custom barrel, tuner, Nightforce or March scope with decent rings and it all adds up to alot of dollars and weight. You have to ask yourself do you want to give away 6lb to you competitors in the Fly which has a 17lb limit from memory.
Brett Wilson who brings in the Falcon actions does some stock work as does Kim Cossick (Bigstick Stocks) - just a couple more names for your list.
The winning score at our 200 yard Fly shoot last weekend at Silverdale was 278.9 by Eddie McGrann in moderate and variable winds - an outstanding result. We are all going to need soemthing pretty good to beat scores like that.

Regards

Dave

Re: Custom Stock Makers ?

Dave Groves
Hi Anthony,
                        Have you seen some of the stocks that Russell LeMaitre here Canberra has been turning out?

They are truly pieces of art, have a chat to Russ about what you are after.

If you have two different requirements for weight, maybe think about an arrangement like what Seb had on his Fly gun, with a fore-end attachment which added a significant amount of weight.

Cheers.

Dave Groves

Re: Custom Stock Makers ?

Hi All,

Thanks for the great replies and information so far.

I will do some research and talk to Russell when he is back.  I will also chase up some of the other local stock makers that were mentioned when I get time.