Big Calibre Rifles?

David Dundas
Hi Guys

Need help remembering
A few of us were chatting the other day about some of the "big" calibre rifles used at the Fly and who was using them. I think Barry Tucker and\or Vince had one of the bigger ones. I recall a 300 Pig (or similar) which was huge a number of years ago.
Seems now a 300WSM is about the biggest on the line, but I could be way off the mark so please chime in and remind me of some of those BIG guns in the past or better still now.
Great guns unless your sitting next to one!

Cheers

Dave

Re: Big Calibre Rifles?

David Dundas
I recall a "Yogi" being used at Batemans as well years ago. Only Yogi I know was that cartoon that was on when I was a kid.

Google finds no info so would love to know what these wildcats were based off.

Thanks

Dave

Re: Big Calibre Rifles?

John 23 Harris
I think the yogi was a improved Lapua magnum .

Problem with Nsw at least is energy restrictions on our ranges .

To my limited knowledge Coonabarabran is the only place you Can shoot  large cartridges at long range .

Stmarys 50m indoor  also caters for some big birthers I believe

Re: Big Calibre Rifles?

David Dundas
Thanks John

I found some info on the "Yogi" which is exactly what you said - a modified 338 Lapua Mag. Looks like the shoulder pushed forward to allow more powder charge.
I recall someone shooting it years ago at Batemans Bay, but damed if I can remember who.
I was not able to find anything on the "PIG" but it was one hell of a bang as well.

Cheers

Dave

Re: Big Calibre Rifles?

Cameron Starr
Anthony shoots a 30 booboo. I think it is based of the 8x68 case I am sure he will chime in with correct details. But it is a rather large cartridge.

Re: Big Calibre Rifles?

Peter Cross
G'day Dave

Barry Tucker shot the Yogi, pretty sure he still has it.

Re: Big Calibre Rifles?

David Dundas
Thanks Guys,

Where do they get some of these names from... Yogi, Boo Boo and Pig?

Would love to know more about them? Which is the biggest and loudest?

Hopefully, Anthony and Barry will chime in and tell us more about these big boy toys.

Cheers

Dave

Re: Big Calibre Rifles?

Hi Dave,

There are certainly some big cases out there that have been historically used in various events, most are wildcats originating from existing brass that is fire formed and necked up or down to match a custom reamer.

I believe the 30 Boo Boo was developed by Dave Tooley in the USA to take advantage of the great quality RWS 8x68 brass that was available.

The Yogi and equivalents (.338 lapua variants) are now not allowed to be shot at most ranges.

All other modified cases are simply done for accuracy, and best not to focus (or talk online) about case capacity and Bang etc..... as they are just target rounds searching for accuracy and do not necessarily have more energy than any other standard 30 cal round if you get my point !

Les has a couple of nice (accurate) Heavy Gun calibres worth a look when you next see him.

Great topic to discuss in person over an ale at the next event though.

Cheers,

Re: Big Calibre Rifles?

David Dundas
Thanks Anthony

Certainly a blast from the past, must have been over 10 years ago as I remember my boys were only little kids. I started reading about some of the wildcats out there and its a deep rabit hole to go down and a mountain to read, just incredible.
With the 30 year anniverssary comming up next year I would also love to hear about the early calibres that were used back then, I believe there were Roo shooters, Police snipers and long range benchrest shooters in attendance.
Some other old timers remember when there 22-250 was competitive some 20 years ago.

Thanks very interesting,

Dave

Re: Big Calibre Rifles?

John 23 Harris

Here is a new cartridge with a interesting name .
I was confused when I initially started seeing gay tiger references on the fb shooting pages

Re: Big Calibre Rifles?

David Dundas
John

I hope your not leading me astray to some wierd web site with this post of yours, never heard of that cartridge. I will see if I can look it up.

Thanks

Dave

Re: Big Calibre Rifles?

Shaun Stoffels
Dave,

6mmGT was designed for the PRS guys in the USA. Is between the Dasher and 6x47Lap in case size. Its made to provide reliable mag feeding without modifying AI pattern mags that many use in PRS.

Its not as efficient as the BRA, Dasher, etc from what I've seen. Runs same speeds as Dasher using more powder.

If I'm gonna build a Heavy Gun, Id look at a 7mm08AI. I used to run one for F-Open before SAUMs were what was needed to do well. 160gr class bullets at 2820 range and is quite accurate. Got the high BC of the 7mm bullet with the recoil of a 308 or less.

Re: Big Calibre Rifles?

Hi Dave,

Over the years there has been many shooters who have built big calibers in the pursuit of bucking the wind novelty or just because they can. Heavy Gun class is just that Heavy but in recent times many shooters are firing the small calibers in the hope of second chance of a win. Some of the big name cases have been.

300 Ackley
30 Yogi
7mm Jade
7mm Jacko
300 WSM
30 Boo boo
30/378 WM
30/338
375 Lazerini

functions of big calibers is to find an efficient yet accurate rifle that has great / wind ballistic capabilities.

" A true heavy gun drives you, you don't drive it" (Dave Purcell 2007)

Like Anthony has stated great conversation face to face see you soon Dave.

cheers Les

Rob

Re: Big Calibre Rifles?

Rob
Dave,

I think Malcolm from Bathurst used to shoot a YOGI.

Re: Big Calibre Rifles?

Vince V
Hi DAVE ,
Yes your correct, I shoot a 300 WSM and a 300Win Mag , I like the calibers and the recoil is no problem with HG ,
I don’t mind the recoil on the LG as I have been shooting shotgun for decades!

You should have a shot with my WSM DAVE ,,,, see what you think ???

Re: Big Calibre Rifles?

David Dundas
Hi Vince

Those calibres are way to big for me. John Harris is lending Kathy and I a 6mmBR for the Nationals next month in Canberra. Hopefully the wind is kind to us and I look forward to catching up with you, "Mr Fly" and all the gang again.

Cheers

Dave Dundas