Best way to source a Rem700 action

Steven Butcher
I'm looking to build a light gun and have been planning to use the mark with barrel adapter as the basis for this rifle, but I'm starting to think that using a rem700 would be a better option.

What is the best way to source an action? New rifle and part it out, 2nd hand complete rifle or action only (most that I have seen have been expensive).

Re: Best way to source a Rem700 action

Hi steve i appreciate that you have put your full name up thanks mate. Now about building a light gun, this is how i build the rifle i currently have i brought a Stolle off used guns for 2k then i broke it all down and sold everything but the barrel and action, then a mate gave me a stock (dave purcel) then i brought a trigger and mounts and scope buy the time i sold all the bits off the rifle true value was about 1800. This rifle has one the light gun shooter of the year for the last two years.

perhaps there are folks on here that have a rem 700 they can part with but then you will have to get it trued pete can help with this if you want i will help you search for a good action up to you
cheers Les

Re: Best way to source a Rem700 action

Pete van Meurs
Banned User
Steven,

I have upwards of  twenty Rem 600/700 actions available, ranging from well used to new. Please call me on 03-52811380 as I do not wish to use this forum for commercial purposes.

Pete

Re: Best way to source a Rem700 action

Thanks for helping out Pete please use the forum to help shooters when and where you can. You are also listed on the sponsors page so your support is most welcome.
cheers Les

Re: Best way to source a Rem700 action

Brendan Atkinson
As one can buy a complete new Rem 700 SPS for under a thousand dollars now, it has dented the market in second hand Remmys. Perhaps talk to Peter VM, as he will sell you a good action.
It is better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than  to open one's mouth (or hit the send key) and remove all doubt.

Re: Best way to source a Rem700 action

Dave Purcell
Of course depending on what you want to build you can buy a Rem that is already set up in a BR stock and re-barrel or buy a LG that is already in use from someone who is moving on or up.
I know of a few different bits for sale contact me if interested.
0421 804711 after 5pm

Re: Best way to source a Rem700 action

Steven Butcher
This post was updated on .
Thanks for the offers guys, at the moment I'm only looking.

Pete, with a well used action is there any issues to using one as opposed to a newer action if it is going to be trued?

Re: Best way to source a Rem700 action

Pete van Meurs
Banned User
Hi All,

Even though I have had personal email contact with Steven to answer this and many other questions I thought many of you might be interested in a reply to this query.
" The main issue would be cosmetic (unless you sprung the bucks for a re-finish) as the type of 'good' used action we would want to employ would be low-mileage and with a clean bolt-face".
In fact if one can find a really early rifle that has a clean bolt-face it may actually be preferable as the tolerances seem to have been tighter in the early years. Ultimately the gunsmith should be the judge - he should know what to look for in either a used or new action.

Pete