BRISBANE FLY SHOOTING

Dale Quant
I am not sure what the situation is with Fly shooting at SSAA Belmont, yesterday was the nominated shoot, one person that I am aware of turned up to shoot unfortunately I did not get there until 12:30 after being held up a bit at work and our paths did not cross, sad to say I don't know him by face either so I did not end up conducting the shoot.

Things have been difficult at SSAA Belmont for some time due to the whole range approval to shoot fly thing and this year the weather has been total crap, yesterday would have been almost perfect conditions as well. I have emailed out the calender to all who were on my contact list more than once, perhaps someone here can give me an idea on how to spark interest back in Fly Shooting.

 Two of us ended up shooting Rimfire Fly last night, Wendy and myself, Wendy ended up with 5 flys again 3 on one card, soon I think she will make it 5 as the fouth was just outside the left front leg and the 5th shot went just in the 9 at 1 o'clock. all I was able to do was 2 flys and a good score.

The next scheduled Rimfire Fly is on the 19 May 2012 starting at 6 pm and Centrefire and Rimf ire 16 June 2012 starting at 1 pm.

Hope to see a bit of a turn up weather permitting.

Re: BRISBANE FLY SHOOTING

Hi Dale,

Sounds like you are having a hard time getting people to come along.... I know the feeling, but there are things you can do to get it going...

With the range approval thing... you need to have your range registered with SSAA, this is not difficult normally, you need a Survey to show that the distances comply with the rules (+/- 2%) and they will also want to know that your Benches, splash plates and frames etc are up to hosting a registered match. I am not sure if this has been done at your range yet ? I would imagine that is has.... but you had better check.
From there you need to advise your state Delegate of the dates you wish to run registered matches and get their approval... They can assist with advertising in the magazine and web sites like this are a great place to let everyone know.... They will also appoint a delegate or proxy delegate to attend the match...

When you run a properly registered match that counts for Shooter of the Year..... trust me, people will come !!

On a local club level..... I have found that advertising a time and date that people can count on... offering Fly patches and maybe a local Shooter of the year point score or promise of trophy for best score and or group for the year etc... really encourages some competition.... once people care about the results and get a desire to win, they will come along !!

If you need help letting people know about a registered match, or getting it going, collecting nominations, doing bench draws, score spreadsheets etc..... let me know and I am happy to try and help you in whatever way I can.

Re: BRISBANE FLY SHOOTING

Dale Quant

Hay Anthony

   Thanks so much for you quick response they had been shooting Fly for years as far as I know at SSAA Belmont, until one day something came up about not being registered or licensed to shoot Fly go figure, way before my time all I know is the people who were running it were not interested or to much of a pre madonna to get things moving again once the shooting of Fly had been sorted out.

   I was the one who pushed for it as no one else semed to want to get it going again, so I thought that I could give some of my time to a discipline I enjoy. Annie and Stuart Elliott helped me when we go the first one running then we had the Maddan Fly after that Xmas break and then the weather turned bad here, I don't expect people to get on the range when it is raining cats and dogs but it seems a lot of people in the shooting sports are all happy to whine about this and that but not get off their butts to make things happen.

   So far I have put a calendar up to Admin SSAA Belmont, I expected it went to were it had to go to be approved I know the QRA also had a finger in the pie because of range templates and safety requirements. I got approval for it so that's what I am running with, if there is another place I need to go to for registeration let me know and I will do what is requuired, I put up the Calendar on the Fly page once it was formalised by SSAA. I know I should not just expect people to come along because of that but there was a fair following at Belmont before it turned to crap about 2 years ago, I was hoping that once we got it up and running again they would return, it seems that if Stuart and Annie are not there or promoting it people seem to find some thing else to do. Ok I have had a bit of a rant got it off my chest now thanks.

When you talk of a registed match are you referring to the calendar that is approved by SSAA is that what makes it Registered or just what is it that makes it sanctioned?

Thanks for the offer it will be taken up at that time, I have pretty much most ofthe things I need to run with the admin for a shoot and knowing others are there to help will be great thanks.

Regards

Dale

Sounds like you are having a hard time getting people to come along.... I know the feeling, but there are things you can do to get it going...

With the range approval thing... you need to have your range registered with SSAA, this is not difficult normally, you need a Survey to show that the distances comply with the rules (+/- 2%) and they will also want to know that your Benches, splash plates and frames etc are up to hosting a registered match. I am not sure if this has been done at your range yet ? I would imagine that is has.... but you had better check.
From there you need to advise your state Delegate of the dates you wish to run registered matches and get their approval... They can assist with advertising in the magazine and web sites like this are a great place to let everyone know.... They will also appoint a delegate or proxy delegate to attend the match...

When you run a properly registered match that counts for Shooter of the Year..... trust me, people will come !!

On a local club level..... I have found that advertising a time and date that people can count on... offering Fly patches and maybe a local Shooter of the year point score or promise of trophy for best score and or group for the year etc... really encourages some competition.... once people care about the results and get a desire to win, they will come along !!

If you need help letting people know about a registered match, or getting it going, collecting nominations, doing bench draws, score spreadsheets etc..... let me know and I am happy to try and help you in whatever way I can.

http://500-m-fly-shooter.1062065.n5.nabble.com/BRISBANE-FLY-SHOOTING-tp5656943p5656983.html
To unsubscribe from BRISBANE FLY SHOOTING, click here.
NAML

Re: BRISBANE FLY SHOOTING

Hi Dale,

Fair enough to have a bit of a Rant.... it sucks to put effort into something and not get support.... but I am sure that you will get there !!!!   It is worth the effort !, This is a great sport with a lot of really great people.

For a match to be registered, you need three basic things.
1) The range needs to be approved by the SSAA.  Just because Fly has been run there for years does not automatically qualify the range... A couple of years ago, Fly shooting was taken over by SSAA and comes under the Benchrest discipline rules of the SSAA in conjunction with the interim Fly Rules.  The range needs to have distances verified and formal approval granted.  I suggest you speak to Annie Elliott and I understand that she is the state Delegate for QLD.  It may be already done, but if not, you need to make it happen. It is not that hard.

2) The date needs to be approved and advertised in the magazine at least a month before the shoot.  Again, Annie Elliott should be able to steer you in the right direction to get this done.

3) There must be a delegate or proxy delegate in attandance to certify that the match is run in accordance with the rule book.

Do these things and you can run 2 Shooter of the Year Matches each year !!  That will bring the punters out to play :)

You can run club fly matches whenever you like and run them however you like..... but records can only be shot at Registered Matches.

Re: BRISBANE FLY SHOOTING

Dale Quant

Thanks again Anthony

I'll get on to Annie to make sure that the rest of this years shoots are acknowledged as registered maches and that the dates I nominated for SOY matches are varified as well.

Thanks mate

[...]

http://500-m-fly-shooter.1062065.n5.nabble.com/BRISBANE-FLY-SHOOTING-tp5656943p5657026.html
To unsubscribe from BRISBANE FLY SHOOTING, click here.
NAML

Re: BRISBANE FLY SHOOTING

hi Dale only to happy to help in assisting with fly matches. i know that it always is left to a few people that is why there is a number of us ready willing and capable of helping out. let us all know what you need and i am sure we can assist.
cheers les

Re: BRISBANE FLY SHOOTING

Hi Dale,

I believe that the Range Resistration stuff for Belmont is already done (but please check with Annie),

It should simply be a matter of letting one of your state delegates know the dates you intend to run registered matches,  get them to approve the dates and put them in the magazine for you.  They will also arrange a delegate for you and it should be good to go.

Please let us know what we can do to help.

Re: BRISBANE FLY SHOOTING

Annie Elliott
Hi Dale
Not good to hear of the poor turn out. May I suggest a few more options to assist.
Apart from your email list try putting a notice or ad up on the range noticeboard. I do know that when ever I work at the range often strangers will say to me where do we find out about this "Fly shooting"? So I know there are lots of people who have heard about it but don't know where to start. So if there is an ad with contact details and maybe a calendar up on the board, shooters who want to give it a try can get in touch.
A lot of the members on this forum live interstate and would not be able to attend the Brisbane matches so you need to position your notice in a more 'local' vacinity.

With registration, now that Fly is part of the Benchrest discipline it has to comply with the BR guidelines. For an event to be recognised and eligible for records to be shot and medals presented, it must be submitted to the BR  State delegates. In QLD they are Gavin Marshall and myself  for 2012. We are voted into these positions every year by the shooters at our state BR meeting which is usually held during our State 4 Gun BR championships. A State delegate is responsible for making sure that clubs who hold registered events are conversant with the current rulebook, can organise the required personel to run the event and can manage the finances, medals and results. A State delegate is required to be in attendance at any registered event or appoint a proxy.

Any club wanting to hold a registered event must submit their request to the State delegate with enough notice  prior to the event. This is so the delelgate can do the necessary research and establish that all the criteria has been met, that the event will not clash with a similar event in close proximity and then to place an advertisement in either the ASJ (in Club section at the back) or to be circulated amongst other clubs or forums.

The delegates are required to submit an annual calendar of registered events in their state to the National BR Chairman in early January each year so he can check for any clashes etc and then, once approved,  it is released to all the delegates to circulate around the states and clubs and then also listed on the 'Benchrest Bulletin' website. It is recommended to have a 12 month forecast but other events can be slotted in during the year provided it is done through the correct channels. Club shoots (unregistered) don't need any of these procedures.

It is good to see the clubs involved in this forum have got themselves organised and have got the calendar of Fly shoots organised, but to formalise the 'registered' matches they have to be submitted to your state delegate for approval.

Hope this helps a few clubs with the procedures. It is all laid out in the front part of the BR rulebook.

Re: BRISBANE FLY SHOOTING

Dave Purcell
Dale,

Aside from running standard 500M Fly shoots you can always try a few 300M matches.
These are a good way of introducing people to Fly shooting.
300 means most can use an existing rifle and scope without any major issues.
Once they have seen some results at 300 they are more willing to have a go at the longer distance.

Dave

Re: BRISBANE FLY SHOOTING

Pete van Meurs
Sorry no photo - different PC.

Interesting stuff this Brisbane mess. According to my National benchrest calendar there is a registered Fly match listed for the 'Harry Madden" weekend in November. Who is the organiser and who saw to it's registration? Surely that person should also be involved with what Dale is trying to achieve without it getting to the stage of becoming a 'forum' issue.  There appears to be a serious lack of cohesiveness in Qld (read Brisbane) organisation and accountability.
Seems to me that the whole of Queensland is dysfunctional of  late. Witness also the problems encountered by the people in Townsville (or is that another country of sorts?).
Individuals from other states can offer all the help they want but it will not assist in resolving an internal issue such as this (with all due respect to Anthony and Les).
Dale, I suggest you speak earnestly with your State delegates and seek answers to the question I posed earlier re the organiser of the November match.

Pete

Re: BRISBANE FLY SHOOTING

Dale Quant
Peter
I am the organiser for Fly at SSAA Belmont, I dont consider it to be a mess more just the frustration of spending my time on Saturday fruitlessly, hence the rant. However I am encouraged from the posative comments and suggestions on ways to be able to move ahead. The learning curve is fairly steep and not all the information is available in a procedural format you learn as you go with this it seems, but I do have some good people to turn to for advice.
Thanks

Re: BRISBANE FLY SHOOTING

john mc quire
Hello Dale   Can you confirm on what dates the SOTY fly shoots in Brisbane will be held
                   are you going to run two shoots this year
                         cheers
                                       john mc quire
  Every Shot inside the Eight Ring would be GREAT

Re: BRISBANE FLY SHOOTING

Hi Dale
Great to see that you have confidence in getting the fly shooting up and running in Queensland may i ask is the matches proposed for Qld fly been registered and your state delegates contacted so they can comply with the SOTY matches. It is an important part of the shooting to get the detail right. This ensures compliance across the entire fly shooting community. There are a great number of shooters eligable for SOTY and this will bring shooters from interstate to your shoot which will increase numbers and lift the profile of fly shooting even further.

If you need a hand when the shoot is on or anthing i can do remotely then please let me know only to keen to help out.

cheers Les

Re: BRISBANE FLY SHOOTING

Dale Quant

Hi Les

I did put up the dates in the forum some time back in a thread started about shooting dates, however I am going to need to check up on a few things to do with dates now as our target area is in the danger area of the QRA International range, I am aware there was a meeting of Range users last week but nothing has been passed on as yet about the result.

Annie Elliott is our delegate and the proposed dates went out to her some time ago will get all sorted with SSAA and QRA hopefully in a few weeks for the coming year.

Your offer to help is very much appreciated and at a minimum the Madden Fly Shoot will be at least one SOTY shoot will update all on this site ASAP.

Regards

Dale

Great to see that you have confidence in getting the fly shooting up and running in Queensland may i ask is the matches proposed for Qld fly been registered and your state delegates contacted so they can comply with the SOTY matches. It is an important part of the shooting to get the detail right. This ensures compliance across the entire fly shooting community. There are a great number of shooters eligable for SOTY and this will bring shooters from interstate to your shoot which will increase numbers and lift the profile of fly shooting even further.

If you need a hand when the shoot is on or anthing i can do remotely then please let me know only to keen to help out.

cheers Les

http://500-m-fly-shooter.1062065.n5.nabble.com/BRISBANE-FLY-SHOOTING-tp5656943p5706605.html
To unsubscribe from BRISBANE FLY SHOOTING, click here.
NAML

Re: BRISBANE FLY SHOOTING

ok Dale great we really need for Brisbane to have the two SOTY shoots like all the other states as we want the competition to grow no the other way. There are any number of shooters to help, Anthony Hall, Mike Bell, Myself, John Mcquire you just have to ask.
Fly shooting is about us all no one particular person

cheers Les