Antipodean Industrial - Projectile Update

Antipodean Industrial - Projectile Update

Aaron Raadschelders
Just thought I'd let the 500M Fly Shooteter forum members know I successfully made a G7L-284-180gr last night on a J4 jacket.

Exciting hey...just like the thousands of others.

Same everything pretty much, weight, ogive radius, ogive length, meplat etc. Except for the length. Nominal length for the standard G7L-284-180gr is +1.500" (within 'as supplied' J4 jacket tolerances). This single prototype came out at just under 1.370".

I'll let you roll that around in your heads for while.

Obviously still early days yet without any accuracy or velocity testing, but I've been kickin' this door for a while now. At least I know the door opens now.
Be careful what you aim for, you might just hit it! Antipodean Industrial - www.antipodeanindustrial.com.au - Home of the G7L projectiles.

Re: Antipodean Industrial - Projectile Update

Hi Aaron,

Great to see progress towards another Australian made projectile.

Tell us a little about you and your company.  Are you commercially producing projectiles yet ?  I see your web site says taking orders on some projectiles.

Is it a full time job for you or are you working towards that ?

Do you make other products ?

Re: Antipodean Industrial - Projectile Update

Aaron Raadschelders
Anthony Hall wrote
Hi Aaron,

Great to see progress towards another Australian made projectile.
Thanks Anthony, it's a shame Australia has to import so many projectiles.

Tell us a little about you and your company.  Are you commercially producing projectiles yet ?  I see your web site says taking orders on some projectiles.
I have a background in manufacturing, with an education in engineering and marketing. I've had an interest in swaging projectiles for several years and finally decided to invest in equipment about 2 1/2 years ago. I started shooting at the age of 8 and tried fullbore for the first time in about 1995. I've always enjoyed long range shooting and spent a bit too much time at uni printing out JBM ballistic charts from the net.

Yes, I'm producing the projectiles on a commercial basis and I try to keep the website updated. I make approximately 1000 in each size on a production run for an order. There aren't many left over from a production run so I leave the status as taking orders.

Is it a full time job for you or are you working towards that ?

Do you make other products ?
At the moment I'm only doing this on a part time basis. I'd certainly like to go to a full time basis but the volumes aren't there yet.

I'm mainly working on the G7L's at the moment for long range target shooting to establish a standard. I'm prototyping a couple of other longe range projectiles as I go and will be working on a hunting projectile next year. I'm just about to start on a barrel wear coating system, so hopefully I'll be able to extend the life of your favourite target barrel. There are 26 years worth of shooting ideas that I want to work through, hopefully I'll have the resources to give them a go before the wife finds out.

Loooking forward to meeting a few 500m Fly shooters at an event, when the new rifle is ready in the next month or two!
Be careful what you aim for, you might just hit it! Antipodean Industrial - www.antipodeanindustrial.com.au - Home of the G7L projectiles.

Re: Antipodean Industrial - Projectile Update

well done mate the more bullet makers in Australia the better i say, that way folks will have the option to fit a bullet to their particular barrel set up.

I know the 180 bergers seem to be the go for 7mm in F class, what BC do you think yours will rate.

How are you selling them by the 100 200/ 500 lot
there are a number of flyshooters that would given them ago i think Price??

cheers and great work
Les

RE: Antipodean Industrial - Projectile Update

Aaron Raadschelders

Hi Les

Reports so far on the G7L-284-180gr indicate that BC is within 1MOA for elevation out to 1000y compared to the 180gr Bergers. Reports also indicate that accuracy is comparable. I’ve modified the boat tail configuration since but this should not degrade accuracy.

I’m selling the 180gr 7mm’s in boxes of 100 ($66.00) or 500 ($318.84). Prices for these projectiles and others are updated on the website (www.antipodeanindustrial.com.au). I’m pretty much limited by the cost price of J4 jackets at the moment.

Regards

Aaron

well done mate the more bullet makers in Australia the better i say, that way folks will have the option to fit a bullet to their particular barrel set up.

I know the 180 bergers seem to be the go for 7mm in F class, what BC do you think yours will rate.

How are you selling them by the 100 200/ 500 lot
there are a number of flyshooters that would given them ago i think Price??

cheers and great work
Les

http://500-m-fly-shooter.1062065.n5.nabble.com/Antipodean-Industrial-Projectile-Update-tp5707144p5707147.html

To start a new topic under 500 M Fly Shooter, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Antipodean Industrial - Projectile Update, click here.
NAML

Be careful what you aim for, you might just hit it! Antipodean Industrial - www.antipodeanindustrial.com.au - Home of the G7L projectiles.

RE: Antipodean Industrial - Projectile Update

Hi Aarron if you can post some pics of your bullets so people can see the work. Might help things along
cheers Les

RE: Antipodean Industrial - Projectile Update

Aaron Raadschelders
Here is the shorter (1.37") 180gr prototype alongside a standard length (1.49") G7L-284-180gr. Both versions have the updated 7.8 deg boat tail but might try a 6deg boat tail.

Still a long way to go but every little step helps.

G7L-284-180gr ShortvsLong
Be careful what you aim for, you might just hit it! Antipodean Industrial - www.antipodeanindustrial.com.au - Home of the G7L projectiles.

RE: Antipodean Industrial - Projectile Update

steve eades
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

RE: Antipodean Industrial - Projectile Update

Aaron Raadschelders
steve eades wrote
Hey Aaron, just a question, what effect does changing the boattail angle have? Does it affect bearing length and velocity or simply BC and drop?

I'd certainly be interested in these bullets for my .284win Tikka

Steve
Hi Steve

All things being equal, especially weight, changing boattail angle will result in a change in the shank and therefore bearing length. You also get a shift in the centre of pressure and the centre of gravity and this is where it all gets foggy. We do know that the average .308 cal supersonic projectiles needs a boat tail angle of less than 10 deg to remain supersonic out to 1000y  when launched at about 2950fps.

The change in bearing length can result in a velocity change. Depending on how tight or lose the projectile is to begin with, you can get either a velocity increase or decease given corresponding changes in friction and pressure.

In terms of BC, a boattail and the corresponding base diameter created from it's angle, account for about 30%+/-10% of the total drag while supersonic (if you look at a program like JBM).  Essentially the boattail has to be well balanced as part of the overall projectile design if you are looking to maximise BC, but this does not mean the design will also lend itself to being highly accurate.

So yes there are quite a few effects, and if you look into the advent of base-bleed artillery projectiles you can see how much affect the base of a projectile has on BC (drop and windage). Not so many short answers , but Bryan Litz has a good crack in Chapter 17 of his book Applied Ballistics for Long-Range Shooting.

Any other thoughts from other forum members on the topic?

Cheers
Aaron