Ammo Prices and big $$$ mark ups!

David Dundas
Hi All

I contacted a large ammo supplier the other day for a stock list of what at hey had as I was looking for batch to test. The search for good ammo can take me around Australia.
This supplier sells everything from Air petters to CF stuff and advertise themselves as discounters and are actually cheaper then some other shops in NSW or Vic.
Well, they emailed the list and on the back page they left their Cost Price and Sell price totals, opps.
Over 400% markup for ammo across the board. Some of you wont believe it but you can do the math yourself.

Stock on Hand value cost $31,610
Stock on Hand value sell $135,588

I am not able to post a picture without disclosing the supplier.

When I see stuff like this it makes me an unhappy shooter.

Dave

Re: Ammo Prices and big $$$ mark ups!

Stuart Pethy
holy crap , i knew there was a mark up but 400%

Re: Ammo Prices and big $$$ mark ups!

Fred Blacker
Hi Guys.
I am not sure how others work, but I may be able to shed some light on this from where i am currently working anyway.
You will see similar on our stock reports. However, stock on hand value cost, is stock that we have paid for. This does not include any stock that we sell on consignment. Stock on hand value sell, is full retail on all stock, including consignment stock.
In our case the majority of our stock is sold on consigment.

Re: Ammo Prices and big $$$ mark ups!

David Dundas
Thanks Fred

I was not aware of ammo being sold on consignment, i know cars, boats  and some other items are but would never have guessed ammo. Might explain the large mark ups that I saw.

Good to get cleared up.

Dave

Re: Ammo Prices and big $$$ mark ups!

chappo (Greg Chapman)
I was in the industry for a bit. Never saw factory ammo on consignment. Occasionally there was a bit of ammo  with a rifle on consignment but it was pretty rare.
Factory ammo was like all other items from importers and you paid for it by the due date  which varied between on delivery to 90 days. Most were 30 days.

I suppose in theory  that business could have had $100K of ammo land but not paid for yet that would falsely corrupt the figures.

I never saw 400% but did see some small items that got pretty close to that.
Anyway just my my historic imput.

Cheers
Chappo
"Only accurate rifles are interesting". Col Townsend Whelen