500m Fly spotting scopes and cartridges?

500m Fly spotting scopes and cartridges?

johntimber
Hi,

After my 2nd only 500m fly match last weekend, I was struggling to see my 6mm bullet holes with my NF12-42x BR scope and 32x Bushnell spotting scope. I have done some thinking and want to ask the 500m fly shooting community about the gear they use Which make and models of spotting scope are preferred on the firing line today, and are they good enough to see 6mm holes at 500m? Which larger bore cartridges are popular in LG. if I chamber a new barrel it will be fitted to a LBRP Panda (no ejector) I was thinking 284W with 162amax might fit the bill. Any suggestions and help offered will be greatly appreciated.

Please help.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:-
http://www.benchrestbulletin.net/drupal/node/1218
Online Video Production Service

Thanks!

Re: 500m Fly spotting scopes and cartridges?

John 23 Harris
I have the same problem with my sightron 10-50s

My plan was to buy a nightforce br to give a try to see if that helped.
Your experience is not promising.

Looking through various spotting scopes this year at the batemans bay shoot I learned most don’t work.

Nightforce And Swarovski were the two scopes capable of the job and unfortunately for me I can’t afford either.

Even with them it was marginal seeing holes though the mirage

Re: 500m Fly spotting scopes and cartridges?

Hi John,

There is no perfect solution.... on some days you can see 6mm bullet holes all day at 500m with most scopes, normal days it is a struggle and I find the NF rifle scope is better than most (probably all) mid priced spotting scopes at resolving them.

Where the difference comes in, is on marginal days where better optics can still resolve them and lesser optics can't.  I have seen the Nightforce Spotting scope work very well and see holes when I couldn't see them with the rifle scope, on those occasions it is a clear competitive advantage......I believe Leica and Swaro are in a similar class (and price), the Zeiss may be in that class as well, I can only personally vouch for the Nightforce.

But if you are not prepared to spend $3k on a spotting scope, stick with the NF rifle scope as it is pretty good most days.....

As for larger light gun calibers....the list is long 6.5x47, 260/260AI and 6.5/284 are good, the .284 win is good but probably at the top of the calibre you want in a light gun.....  All will work in the right hands though.

Re: 500m Fly spotting scopes and cartridges?

David Dundas
Hi John

Just a comment on the Nightforce scopes, the 12-42x BR is the older heavier model, its the  newer 15x -55x BR which have the better low dispersion glass  (ED Glass) that many are moving to, I have owned both and I am sure Anthony is referring to the 55x as well.
Next time we get together at the range I will bring the March 60x along and we can do a side by side comparison with the 55x Nightforce - Have never compared them myself side by side at 500m.
Saving my March 60x for my 6mmBR that is comming after my wife gets a new Kitchen - Buggar.

Cheers

Dave