500 M Fly Calibers

Denis Aarons
HI guys,

Im new to the Forum, fairly new to shooting (2 years) and haven't shot Fly before.  I've been learning and shooting 6BR in F-Class Open at North Arm Rifle Club since the start of this year.  We shoot from 300m out to 700y.  I shoot a Factory Savage 12, 1:8 twist using 105g Berger loads.

I think that 6BR would be O.K for 500 Fly, but................................  I suspect that most Fly shooters would be using larger calibers that don't get knocked around by the wind so much.

Winnings not my agenda, I just want to get out and play this sport with you guys.  Just interested to know what calibers are mostly on the benches?

Thanks, D.A.
"No flys on me!...............yet".

Re: 500 M Fly Calibers

Deane Thrower
Dennis

What you have is more than adequate, I'm fact Anthony Hall set a new record ( smashed the old record ) shooting a 6br. An extremely accurate cartridge. Fly shooting can be what you want it to be, plenty of different cartridges and opinions as to which one is better etc. my advice would be get your 6br set up for 500m ( tune ) and turn up and try your best. I am shooting a 308 and have done ok. My first two ( only two ) shoots all I was interested in was hitting a fly and it was an awesome feeling.

In my opinion no need to buy anything. Use what you have and go from there

Deane
Just doing my part to reduce the fly population!!!!

Re: 500 M Fly Calibers

hi Denis welcome to the site please ask or contribute as much or as little as you like. I don't know if you realise there is a fly shoot on in Queensland on Monday if you get the chance you should go and have a look or a shoot. There is a great bloke in John Mcquire who will be there he is a well travelled shooter who really loves the sport as he say "swatting them flies".

As for 6BR great cartridge and very accurate Anthony Hall shot an Australian Light Gun Record with one two weeks ago to the tune of 274 points.

If your rifle is grouping well, it is trigger time you need to fire the rifle and look and read the conditions. If at any stage you are at a shoot i am at then please come and have a go with one of my rifles. At the end of the day aslong as the range officers are happy with it i let new shooters and current shooter fire them to see if they like the other calibers it is all about experimenting.

Pete Vanmuers has posted on here about fly calibers if you would like to read it. Pete is on here most of the time and contributes well.

good shooting see  you soon
best wishes Les

Re: 500 M Fly Calibers

Lindsay Horsfall
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: 500 M Fly Calibers

Denis Aarons
Hi guys thanks for the response.

Deanne, Im also eager to shoot a fly.  I LOVE the idea of fly badges!  That just sounds like fun, its like getting a treat when you do something good I'm sure.
I'm happy with the 6BR I have good mentor at the club up this way who suggested it and I cant stop playing with it.  I like the rifle too!

Les.  Stuart & Annie and also another club friend Peter up this way are shooting the Fly comp on Monday and suggested I come along too.  Unfortunately I have staff on holidays at the moment and I cant get away for a day.  Thanks for the heads up though.  I will read Pete V's thread on calibers.  Cheers.

Linsay, G'day friend!  I cant wait to get down there and shoot with you and I'm really looking forward warming my feet at you camp fire................. if we can drag ourselves away from the reloading bench!  That sounds like trouble.
"No flys on me!...............yet".