2019 Pro Cal Challenge

Dave Groves
Hi All,

SSAA ACT is hosting the 2019 Pro Cal Challenge 500M and 200yd Fly Shoot
including the ACT Fly Championships sponsored by Pro-Cal and Nightforce Optics

Venue: SSAA ACT Majura Shooting Complex, Jim McKinley Range

Saturday 28 & Sunday 29 September 2019

Pro Cal Challenge 500M and 200yd Fly Shoot including the ACT Fly Championships
Includes: Optional Warmer target and 5 targets to score each day.

Prizes:
Medals for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place, Small Group and High Scoring Target in Light, Heavy and Rimfire, Centrefire and Rimfire 2 day, Medals for Juniors both days.
Lucky Prize Draw after presentations on Sunday featuring shooting products sponsored by Luke from Pro-Cal and Nightforce Optics.

Fees: $55 one class, $95 two classes, $135 all three classes.

Camping: $10 per person per night. Amenities provided.

Catering Saturday and Sunday by Gungahlin Lions Club

All nominations to be lodged by e-mail to actflyshoot@hotmail.com
or by phone to Dave Groves  by 22 September 2019.

The Fly Shoot is run in accordance with the SSAA National Fly Shoot Rulebook

Please nominate what class or classes to be shot, if intending to share equipment and if you are a left handed shooter.

SSAA Majura Range does not currently allow .338 and larger cartridges at this time, if you have questions about your rifles use, please contact Dave.

Re: 2019 Pro Cal Challenge

Dave Groves
In further news, we should be shooting the Rimfire with 4mm Bisalloy steel splash plates, we have the plates and just need to have  a working bee to change the frames to suit!

Re: 2019 Pro Cal Challenge

john mc quire
Hello Dave   i think that its a great idea to have splash plates for the rimfire  event
                 what size will you use    A3 or A4
                  and what gap between the plate and the record target
            why i ask about the gap is because we see a lot of rimfire  rifles shoot the very first shot very high
        and if the plate is too close to the scoring target  this could cause a lot of work  for the range officer  checking
        that the first shot landed on the scorer
            also we have found that a light yellow colour  shows up .22 splashes a lot better than other shades of white
        if we manage to get  a state or nationals shoot in the next couple of years we would build a new set of 200yd fly target
        frames and for sure have steel splash plates fitted
             sorry to say i will not be able to attend your next shoot
                   regards   john mc
  Every Shot inside the Eight Ring would be GREAT

Re: 2019 Pro Cal Challenge

Dave Groves
Hi John, thanks for your thoughts, I have been thinking about much the same things myself.

The plates are very close to A2 size, 530mm wide by 440mm tall, so I don’t think we will have too many problems with the high first shots, plus the mounting arrangement will have the top of the plates approx 150mm below the target card.

We are going to give the plates a clean and a fresh coat of paint with a roller and then go and experiment with paints to see what works best.

A shame you can’t make it down, see you around the traps.

Cheers.

Dave

Re: 2019 Pro Cal Challenge

Dave Groves
Hi All,
            Stu and I did a trial with three different mounting options and a couple of paint colours Monday night on our new Rimfire splash plates.

We are going to use yellow paint, it seemed slightly better than white.

I removed the sound deadener from the back of one plate and it makes a much more satisfying ring without it so tomorrow night we are doing the rest.

I have wanted splash plates for Rimfire for a while and the experience in WA using them at the Nationals last year really motivated me. I hope others will like it as well.

Here’s some photos of the test setup and results.

Test jig

2019 Pro Cal Challenge Prizes

Dave Groves
Dear All, it is with great pleasure I can confirm that Nightforce have come onboard with our naming rights sponsor Pro-Cal and have put up a Lightweight  42x 44MM Competition Rifle Scope with their CTR-3 reticle with an RRP of $2,995 as the lucky door prize for the Pro-Cal Challenge weekend, this prize will be awarded to a competitor that has shot both days of the event, their name will be drawn from a hat and the competitor must be present on the range for the draw.

Also on the prize table will be shooting products from Pro-Cal as well as hats and shirts from Nightforce.

Keeper Trophies for both the Pro-Cal Centrefire and Pro-Cal Rimfire events will be awarded as well as the usual second and third place medals, Small Group and High Scoring Target medals for each class. Medals also for Juniors in CF and RF as well as 2 Gun (CF & RF) and the 3 Gun.

Many thanks to Luke Easter at Pro- Cal and Jamie Dennis at Nightforce for their fantastic support of the event.

Cheers.

Dave  Groves

Re: 2019 Pro Cal Challenge Prizes

Peter Merriman
Dave that is an awesome prize.

Thanks to Nightforce for doing that.

Re: 2019 Pro Cal Challenge Prizes

Stuart Pethy
awesome work Dave
when i can, i can try and get the size of our steel plates we use on our frames for RF if you like

Re: 2019 Pro Cal Challenge Prizes

Dave M
That's good info regarding the splash plates for .22.  I am in the process of setting out the 500 line accurately today and need to contact the supplier of bisalloy re the centrefire plates. What size plates are the norm at 500 (ie dimensions)?
Apologies a s well - I need to upload a photo of myself although won't be pretty!!
Dave
Tassie

Re: 2019 Pro Cal Challenge Prizes

Hi David,

We use 660x440 BisPlate 500 in 10mm thickness at 500mm.

I Like the 660x440mm as it is the size of a fly target on its side, it references well, and as we order them pre cut the exact  size made only a small difference to the price.

If our range allowed 50BMG, I would want at least 12mm plates as they might eventually bend from the impact.....but our 10mm ones are still perfectly flat after quite a lot of use.  I tried some lesser grade steel  (Bis Plate 400 in 12mm ) and got some free 6mm military armour plate, the 400 plates pitted and the armour plate works well, but has bent in the middle from the impact.

I think Dave's 4mm ones will be perfect for Rimfire.

Re: 2019 Pro Cal Challenge Prizes

Dave M
Thanks Anthony great information again. Dave G also sent me a plan of the Canberra frames and plates so between you I am now on the right track.

dave m

Re: 2019 Pro Cal Challenge Prizes

Dave Groves
Hi All,
           Please find below the bench draws for the Pro-Cal Challenge, Centrefire Saturday and Rimfire Sunday.

Cheers.

Dave.

2019_Pro_Cal_Bench_Draw_Saturday.pdf
2019_Pro_Cal_Bench_Draw_Sunday.pdf

Re: 2019 Pro Cal Challenge Prizes

Michael Bell
Administrator
G'day Guys & Gals,
The verses Texas postal matches continue to roll on with a fair degree of enthusiasm.

The score from this match in Canberra will be compared with the Texans last shoot which was last weekend at Huntsville.
Mike Cockcroft has posted the scores from his last match which can be found on the Accurate Shooter website in the 'Competitions' section of their forum.

They are attracting some big names to their events...names like Jackie Schmidt & Speedy Gonzales amongst others so it seems Mr Cockcroft is building momentum with our "Fly" game!

Unfortunately I won't be able to get there so I will miss the fun & games

All the Best,
Belly
Michael Bell

Re: 2019 Pro Cal Challenge Prizes

Joe Duke
Good Luck to all the shooters this weekend.
Joe

Re: 2019 Pro Cal Challenge

stuart veal
Good luck to all this weekend, fantastic list of prizes on offer.

Re: 2019 Pro Cal Challenge

Dave Groves
Hi All,
            Well the Pro-Cal Challenge has been run and won for 2019.

Saturday was a bit of a tough day, with the wind switching from left to right and from 6 o'clock making it difficult to get a group down in the same conditions.

Bob Wright from won Centrefire outright with his Light Gun, scoring 257.03, Grant Groves took out second overall with his Heavy Gun scoring 254.04 and Ken Perrin took out third overall with his Light Gun scoring 253.01.

In Light Gun it was Bob Wright first with 257.03, Ken Perrin second with 253.01 and Les Fraser third with 242.01, the small group for Light Gun was shot by Grant Groves with a 1.538" group which was also the Highest Scoring Target with a 56.

In Heavy Gun it was Grant Groves first with 254.04, Ben Ferrarra second with a 251.07 and Matt Riches third with 245.01, Small Group and High Scoring Target went to Ben Ferrarra with a 1.110" group and a 59.04, an impressive target to be sure which was also a new range record for Heavy Gun score on McKinley range.

Sunday was more of the same as Saturday for Rimfire, and at one point my 7 flags were alternately facing left, then right, then left all the way to the target, I really struggled with the conditions but Dave Dundas didn't!

Rimfire was won by David Dundas with a 261.03, second went to Les Fraser with 258.04 and third went to Matt Riches with 243.03. Steve Ball took out Highest Scoring Target with a 59.02 and Matt Riches shot a .9045" group to take out small group, this is also a pending National Record.

The Two Gun Centrefire and Rimfire was taken out by Les Fraser with 500.05, Matt Riches second with 488.04 and Ken Perrin third with 459.03.

Winner of the Three Gun was Matt Riches with 722.07 followed by Les Fraser in second with 685.07 and third was Ken Perrin with 675.04.

The Nightforce Lightweight Competition 42x44 scope was drawn from the competitors who shot both days and the lucky winner was Andy Santa, thanks to Nightforce for providing such a fantastic prize!

Cheers.

Dave Groves.

Re: 2019 Pro Cal Challenge

Andy Santa
Dave , thanks for a great fly shoot yet again.  I'd like to thank you and organizers and to Procal and NIGHTFORCE for their sponsorship . Thanks very much till next fly shoot cheers all.