2017 National Fly results

Nick Aagren
Administrator
Hi All,

Thanks to all visiting shooters, from near and far, who came to the 2017 Fly Nationals. Spread over three days, shooters got the opportunity to shoot, relax and have a chat. Thanks also to the volunteers for the work they put in to make it happen and to the sponsors for prizes, Procal Trading, Copperhead Bullets, Curly Flat Vineyard and Outdoor Sporting Agencies .

Run over three days with RF day 1, HG CF day 2 and LG CF on day 3, shooters got to experience a selection of the weather conditions that the Eagle Park range can dish up. RF 200yd Fly on Friday was shot in testing conditions of 30 km/h+ westerly. By Saturday’s HG CF match the wind had dropped to 20 km/h westerly for the first 3 targets then eased and remained light for the rest of the weekend which set the backdrop for a compelling LG CF match on Sunday.

Final Results, see tabs at the bottom for each class and event.

2017_Fly_Nationals_Little_River_Results.xls
2017_Fly_Nationals_Little_River_Results.xlsx

In Summary:

Rimfire 200yd, Friday 28th April

Won by Jaegan Peet, 210.01, 2nd was Les Fraser, 206.02 and third was Scott Seddon on count back with 190.00. Best target was Stuart Pethybridge, 52.01 and small group was Scott Seddon, 2.18”

Heavy Gun 500m, Saturday 29th April

Won by Dave Groves, 226.03, 2nd was Nick Aagren with 224.01 and 3rd Place was taken by Rob Eager, 217.02. Small Group was won by Barry Tucker with 1.640"(new HG range record) and best target went  also to Barry on the same target with 57.01.

Light Gun 500m, Sunday 30th April

Won by Michael Bell, 262.06, 2nd was Glen Aarsen with 259.06 and 3rd Place was taken by Grant Groves with 259.04. Small Group was Grant Groves .977"(new LG range record) and best target was also Grant, 60.00 (new LG pending national record).Michael Bell also won the Jim McKinley perpetual trophy for the highest CF score regardless of class.

This brief summary doesn’t do justice to how the match unfolded. After C target there was ‘only half a dozen points separating the top 8 shooters, so it was still wide open. Then Grant came out in the D target and put down the best single fly target score ever, 60.00. Given Eagle Park’s reputation I don’t think there would be any fly shooter that would have picked this Range as the venue for this milestone event.

On behalf of the Melbourne Benchrest club thanks to all for making this an enjoyable event to organise.

Regards

Nick

Re: 2017 National Fly results

Dave Groves
Hi Nick,
               My compliments to you and the Melbourne Benchrest Club on an awesome event.

I had a ball staying at the range, the facilities were excellent and the food was great, the "lunch run" that was provided was a great idea.

After hearing Horror stories about shooting 500m Fly at Eagle Park and having reasonably difficult conditions on Friday , Saturday was a pleasant surprise and Sunday was spectacular weather wise.

Congratulations to Belly on taking away the Jim McKinley Cup and the two day agg, excellent work!

Congratulations  also to Grant Groves for his 60 point target, truly excellent shooting.

Now to figure out whether I can make it to WA!

Cheers

Dave Groves

Re: 2017 National Fly results

David Dundas
Well done Nick

You and your club put on an excellent event and something you all should be proud of. Its not easy putting on a big shoot and takes plenty of volunteers to help make the day run well so I would like to thank you and Peter and Lee-Ann as well as Ron (Our RO on Friday) and the target crew.
My friends and I from Sydney all had a great time even though we did not shoot at our best on the day.

Looking forward to catching up with the Fly shooters again in Batemans Bay and already talking to the wife about attending next years Nationals in Perth.

Congratulations to the winners and all the shooters on the weekend who competed at a very high standard, it was a pleasure to be a small part of it.

See you on the range,

Dave Dundas

Re: 2017 National Fly results

Stuart Pethy
Thanks for putting on a great event, had a ball over there and great to catch up with a few blokes to

it was fun shooting at your range and different to what i have shot on before, that wind was fun on Friday and Saturday and there was some great shooting on Sunday

cant wait to do it all again, even if i can get over to one of your club or state shoots over there

I'm just waiting for one of the guys to get back from his fishing trip so we can catch up and get a date for next years nationals so we can get the ball rolling
hope to see a few of you over here for it

cheers guys and i will get some pics up later that i got

pethy

Re: 2017 National Fly results

Michael Bell
Administrator
Great event down at Little River..had a ball.
For those who are interested I've just posted a bunch of pics of some very, very ordinary looking people......

Many thanks to Darren McNamara from Melbourne. Darren is a pro photographer of significant talent who's  contribution is greatly appreciated with many of these shots being his.

All the Best,
Belly
Michael Bell